SheepShaver won't launch

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mac_dragon
Space Cadet

SheepShaver won't launch

Post by mac_dragon »

Running Catalina - 10.15.4
SheepShaver 10 Aug 2020 version
New build ROM from redundant

Opens and quits as if the ROM has not been found, but the ROM is in the correct folder and renamed 'Mac OS ROM" without a file extension. Is there a way to configure it more effectively?

Only conflict I can imagine is that the rom file type persists and is causing issues even after removing it from the filename.

Thank you for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver won't launch

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you check in the Finder Info panel for the rom file that it does indeed not have a (hidden) extension?
If so, you may be bitten by a security feature in macOS that does not allow to run an application from the location to where it was downloaded or from the location to where the downloaded zip archive was expanded.

Try this:
- Copy the application from its folder to a different location, like your desktop.
- Delete the original application.
- Move the copy back to where the original was.
mac_dragon
Space Cadet

Post by mac_dragon »

Thank you. Upon checking for the fifth time, under the sub-section of Name & Extension, it was still there. I deleted it in the name, but it kept it there.

Unchecking the hide extension box and changing the name there made it work to the next step. Now back to the tutorial videos!

https://imgur.com/a/3OGaUqN
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You could have simply removed the extension by editing the name in the Finder Info "Name & Extension" box.
NLEZE0
Space Cadet

Post by NLEZE0 »

Since Catalina 10.15.7 I have the same problem as described by mac_dragon. I double checked the Mac OS ROM file (and made sure no extension is present in the name) re-installed SheepShaver and downloaded the SheepShaver folder again. Still o Luck... "SheepShaver quit unexpectedly."
Do you have any other tips I can try?
Last edited by NLEZE0 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you try the suggestion in my first reply in this thread? viewtopic.php?p=67949#p67949
NLEZE0
Space Cadet

Post by NLEZE0 »

I did. When I fire-up SheepShaver from the command line in a Terminal Window (SheepShaver -> Package Contents -> SheepShaver), I get:

SheepShaver V2.5 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
Reading ROM file...
Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or directory). Ethernet will not be available.
Using SDL_Renderer driver: metal
Detected CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
PowerPC CPU emulator by Gwenole Beauchesne
Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

Does this help?

Thanks
NLEZE0
Space Cadet

Post by NLEZE0 »

I got it back into a working state. I ran the "Delete Prefs File" Apple Script and then did your suggestion to copy, move the executable to the Desktop. Next I copied it back and started the program successfully.
Thanks for your help.