An easy guide for the non tech-Savvy

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

paradiseinvite
Space Cadet

An easy guide for the non tech-Savvy

Post by paradiseinvite »

Hello Ive been browsing the guides back and forth and I'm having a difficult time bouncing between guides that make the assumption you're tech savvy and those with little information.

I think building a comprehensive yet simple guide would be beneficial for me and others who don't have access to older hardware to play older games. Even now, I'm confused by what it means to "mount" a file so I can play an ISO file in SheepShaver or even where the file is supposed to be. I apologize if this is against the forum rules or comes off as extremely amateur but I figured id ask--it would be extremely helpful with someone with dyslexia like myself :sad:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: An easy guide for the non tech-Savvy

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your message is in no way against forum rules.
Our guides have a long history and carry terms the developers were familiar with on the platform on which these emulators were originally developed (mostly Linux). You can see that in parts of the GUI or settings application, using terms like "volumes" and "mount". We have no or limited influence on that. I can image some of those terms being a bit "outlandish". We might be able to explain better. But you still would have to get to grips with them in e.g. the GUI or settings application.

Your other remark presents us with an eternal dilemma: how can we make a guide both simple and comprehensive? If we cater for all we also need to be specific. Some knowledge required is also tied to the operating system your computer uses. And that would have to be assumed to be present in the user ;-)

What might help you? A list of terms used in the settings application and their meaning?
Something like:
To mount a disk: to have the operating system recognise a disk and give access to it.

Related to SheepShaver we then quickly get into muddy waters: If you think about this simple definition, and then know that SheepShaver can give access to real disks (some CDs) and disk images of Cds, but that the "hard disk" on which Mac OS is installed is only a file that acts like it is a disk. This file is then called a "volume", but would be described accurately as a "virtual hard disk". So where does this end....?

Perhaps (I don't know) it might be best to just ask questions and learn along the way. We tend to be a friendly bunch and do not frown on "newby" questions ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If your question is: How do I mount an ISO disk image in SheepShaver?

Then the answer is: Add the .iso file to the volumes list in the GUI or preferences and save the change.*

At next launch of SheepShaver the disk will then appear on the SheepShaver desktop (= will be mounted in SheepShaver).

* I mention both GUI and preferences because you did not tell us which is your host system (Windows or OX/macOS).
paradiseinvite
Space Cadet

Post by paradiseinvite »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm Hi,

Your message is in no way against forum rules.
Our guides have a long history and carry terms the developers were familiar with on the platform on which these emulators were originally developed (mostly Linux). You can see that in parts of the GUI or settings application, using terms like "volumes" and "mount". We have no or limited influence on that. I can image some of those terms being a bit "outlandish". We might be able to explain better. But you still would have to get to grips with them in e.g. the GUI or settings application.

Your other remark presents us with an eternal dilemma: how can we make a guide both simple and comprehensive? If we cater for all we also need to be specific. Some knowledge required is also tied to the operating system your computer uses. And that would have to be assumed to be present in the user ;-)

What might help you? A list of terms used in the settings application and their meaning?
Something like:
To mount a disk: to have the operating system recognise a disk and give access to it.

Related to SheepShaver we then quickly get into muddy waters: If you think about this simple definition, and then know that SheepShaver can give access to real disks (some CDs) and disk images of Cds, but that the "hard disk" on which Mac OS is installed is only a file that acts like it is a disk. This file is then called a "volume", but would be described accurately as a "virtual hard disk". So where does this end....?

Perhaps (I don't know) it might be best to just ask questions and learn along the way. We tend to be a friendly bunch and do not frown on "newby" questions ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Whew thanks for the kind words I was anxious making this after bouncing through so many guides. I think a list of definitions/words and maybe some picture guides for other dyslexic people?

It may sound baffling but Im having the hardest time:
>Setting up SheepShaver assets
>getting SheepShaver to run
>Knowing how to run ISO games (or CDR?)

Right now im in the middle of setting up my SheepShaver folder so that it can run but so far the app is closing when I click on it
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

paradiseinvite wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 pmRight now im in the middle of setting up my SheepShaver folder so that it can run but so far the app is closing when I click on it
SheepShaver will quit on launch when it does not find a compatible rom file where it expects one.

Did you follow these instructions in the setup manual?
- Download a compatible rom file.
- Rename the rom file to "Mac OS ROM".
- Place the renamed rom file in the SheepShaver folder, together with the SheepShaver application?
paradiseinvite
Space Cadet

Post by paradiseinvite »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am
paradiseinvite wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 pmRight now im in the middle of setting up my SheepShaver folder so that it can run but so far the app is closing when I click on it
SheepShaver will quit on launch when it does not find a compatible rom file where it expects one.

Did you follow these instructions in the setup manual?
- Download a compatible rom file.
- Rename the rom file to "Mac OS ROM".
- Place the renamed rom file in the SheepShaver folder, together with the SheepShaver application?
Here's what I have so far. I have the ROM in the folder but it still closes
Im hoping to get this running today ):
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I corrected the image link. You need to enter the address of the image itself to be displayed here, not the address were the image is posted.

From the image I cannot tell if the Mac OS ROM file is the correct file and if the name does indeed not have a (possible hidden) extension.

- Did you download the new world rom file from Redundant Robot?
- Was the downloaded newworld86.rom.zip file unpacked to the newworld86.rom file?
- Did you rename the newworld86.rom file to Mac OS ROM in the Finder Info panel as described in the setup manual?

If the answer to all three questions is yes, then try this:

- Copy the SheepShaver application to a different location, like your desktop.
- Trash the original SheepShaver application
- Move the copy of the SheepShaver application back into the SheepShaver folder.