reorganize desktop

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Kuulest
Space Cadet

reorganize desktop

Post by Kuulest »

SS runs well, but now I want to reorganize the desktop ('Schreibtischdatei neu anlegen' in German).
I'm pressing cmd-opt like mad during boot , but nothing happens. Is there some trick with SS or some program, which can do the job?

Thanks in advance, Kuulest
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: reorganize desktop

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which is your host system? The corresponding keys may differ if your host is a Windows machine.

I understand you want to rebuild the desktop files. Is there a reason why you want to do that? Do you see signs of desktop file corruption, like incorrect icons or files not opening with the creator application?

It is difficult to use the command-option key combo in SheepShaver. Correct timing is essential. You must press the keys after the SheepShaver window opens and before the Welcome to Mac OS message appears.

It is easier to use a utility like Trash•Desktop that will trash the desktop files. After starting SheepShaver again, new desktop files will be built.
You can find the utility on Macintosh Garden site: https://macintoshgarden.org
Kuulest
Space Cadet

Re: reorganize desktop

Post by Kuulest »

Because my timing is bad, I used TrashDesktop. Now all files are displayed again with their icons and - more important - FileExchange works again.

Thank you, Martin
Last edited by Kuulest on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.