Do disk files need to be .dsk?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Do disk files need to be .dsk?

Post by starfiretbt »

So I recently set up SheepShaver and I noticed HFVExplorer doesn't recognize the disk files. I noticed that the disk file types are just "files." I can rename them to "whatever.dsk" and they will be the file HFVExplorer recognizes, however the guide https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup doesn't recommend that. Should I do that anyways and do I need HFVExplorer? I can use the "enable "my computer"" feature in the GUI but I was told, at least in Basilisk, that it is better to use HFVExplorer and "my computer" isn't recommended, at least for Basilisk.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Do disk files need to be .dsk?

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pm So I recently set up SheepShaver and I noticed HFVExplorer doesn't recognize the disk files. I noticed that the disk file types are just "files." I can rename them to "whatever.dsk" and they will be the file HFVExplorer recognizes, however the guide https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup doesn't recommend that. Should I do that anyways and do I need HFVExplorer? I can use the "enable "my computer"" feature in the GUI but I was told, at least in Basilisk, that it is better to use HFVExplorer and "my computer" isn't recommended, at least for Basilisk.
I presume from the way you frame this that you're on Windows. SheepShaver and BII don't care about file extensions, as long as the correct file header in the file itself is present.

You don't need HFVExplorer, but it is generally safer than using the "My Computer" feature, as it has a more defined interface between the host system and the disk image, and doesn't allow live modifications of the image while it's in use (unlike "My Computer", where the contents can change during emulation).