HELP! - SheepShaver in a continuous loop

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

iwajfm
Space Cadet

HELP! - SheepShaver in a continuous loop

Post by iwajfm »

Good morning,
I have successfully installed Mac OS 9 on the SheepShaver emulator (also installed correctly) from Mac OS High Sierra, following these guides (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAf7GII9NY; https: //www.emaculation .com / forum / viewtopic.php? f = 20 & t = 7360; https://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver).
Everything worked perfectly: I just saw that the trackpad cursor on the Mac OS 9 window had a relatively low frame rate, so I said to myself: isn't it that by increasing the RAM memory, the system can generate more frames and less lag?
From the preferences of that app (which can be reached with "cmd" + ","), from 526 Mb (recommended by the guide) I wanted to raise (to try) to 1000 Mb, and everything still worked correctly, however the cursor still presented the same lag seen previously.
So I decided to turn up to 2000 Mb, thinking nothing would happen, but instead the application started to crash every time I opened it and to release a (empty) system log. I have, several times, tried to uninstall everything in "safe" mode through the CleanMyMac application, thinking that they were some registers that kept the settings on how I had left them the first time (2000 Mb), but nothing to do.
Obviously I do not have time to open the app that closes, unable to change the preferences from the panels of the top bar of the Mac OS High Sierra system (same result obtained using the keyboard shortcut "cmd" + ",").
How / what can I do to solve? It seems strange to me that it behaves like a "disposable" program, that is, if a function no longer works, the program, even if uninstalled (remember, however, that it is never installed with directories in memory, but is already an executable) , you will never be able to make it work again unless you copy all the data on your computer, format it and try again (most inconvenient resolution mode ever heard).
idocgreen
Space Cadet

Re: HELP! - SheepShaver in a continuous loop

Post by idocgreen »

I suggest you reduce the amount of RAM used in SheepShaver; perhaps back to 500 MB.

Keep in mind you're emulating very old hardware. 2000 MB memory was very rare back then when MacOS 9 was released.
For example, if you look at this model of Mac here: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powe ... 4_500.html
You will see that they mention OS9 can only use up to 1.5 GB of RAM (~1500MB).

Now regarding your mouse issue, I suggest you look at the "REFRESH RATE" setting in Video.
Usually setting it at the highest value possible does the trick.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

@ iwajfm
You should not have increased the RAM memory for SheepShaver that far.

CleanMyMac probably missed the (hiddden) prefs file.
It may be possible to edit the prefs file manually to make SheepShaver behave again. First show us here what it looks like now. Do this:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
iwajfm
Space Cadet

Post by iwajfm »

Good evening,
thanks for the fast reply to all users who have replied. Here it is what you have requested:

disk Mac OS 9.hfv
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb /dev/null
rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 2097152000
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
mag_rate 0
ether
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
idlewait true

I hope it could be helpful! I'm waiting for an answer.
Regards.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You might want to edit the .sheepshaver_prefs file and set:

ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, whatever you did, you did not follow our setup guide. That is why your refresh rate is very slow, it is set to as low as 7.5Hz!
Also most other settings are not as advised in the setup manual.

To get SheepShaver working again, open the prefs file in your text editor as described above and change this line

ramsize 2097152000
to

ramsize 536870912
Save the change and close the window.

Then launch SheepShaver and, in SheepShaver preferences, configure SheepShaver as described in our setup guide with the exception of the volumes list. For now, leave that list as it is, with the "Mac OS 9.hfv" volume. (Where did you get that disk image file?)

Our setup guide is here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
iwajfm
Space Cadet

Post by iwajfm »

Good evening,
thanks for all the suggestions! I've corrected the value in the "ramsize" section to what you've suggested, and then the SheepShaver app has worked again.
I've unistalled the app and the related files and I've redone the installation reading and following in detail your official guide.
To make sure everything is setup correctly, I attach below the content of the prefs file after the re-installation of SheepShaver:

disk MacOS9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Applications/SHEEPSHAVER PROJECT/SHARED FOLDER
screen dga/1080/810
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala 
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
mag_rate 0
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
idlewait true

Is everything alright?
By the way, I've got another question: the "keycodes" file in the SheepShaver folder hasn't got the match with all the keys in my laptop's keyboard.
What can I do?
Regards.
Last edited by iwajfm on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The prefs file looks OK now.

You have set SheepShaver to launch in full-screen mode. You can toggle between full-screen and window mode using Control-Return. (You will need SheepShaver in window mode to able able to access preferences.)

If you use both a version 2.5 SheepShaver build and the current SheepShaver folder, the included keycodes file should work correctly. Which language version is your keyboard layout and which keys are not working as expected?