Hardware Mouse Problems with Big Sur

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

heliomass
Space Cadet

Hardware Mouse Problems with Big Sur

Post by heliomass »

I'm having what appears to be a common issue here, but unlike others I've been unable to solve it.

The latest SheepShaver build works perfectly under Big Sur, with the exception of being able to play games which require mouse control. For example, Apeiron and Unreal. In both cases, moving the mouse around does nothing (note: The mouse pointer works fine in the regular GUI context).

Here are some of the things I've tried to solve it:
* Set "hardcursor" to "true"
* Set "scale_nearest" and "scale_integer" to true
* Tried combinations of the above running full screen and windowed
* Tried CTRL-F5 to try and grab the cursor
* Ensure SheepShaver is checked under Accessibility in the Privacy section of settings in Big Sur

I'm scratching my head at this point, as I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, or this is a new Big Sur issue (disclaimer: I can't recall if I had this working properly under Catalina, but I'm pretty sure it worked in Mojave)

My MacBook Air is running Big Sur 11.1, and the guest version of MacOS 9 is 9.0.4.

Hopefully someone has some insight! :smile:

Daniel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Hardware Mouse Problems with Big Sur

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Is Your MacBook Air an Intel machine or the new M1 one?

(If the "hardcursor" setting would make a difference, I would expect it to work better when set to false. I cannot imagine how the other settings you mention could influence the mouse cursor behaviour.)
heliomass
Space Cadet

Post by heliomass »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Is Your MacBook Air an Intel machine or the new M1 one?
No, it's an Intel one (MacBook Air 13-inch 2007; I should have stated that).
If the "hardcursor" setting would make a difference, I would expect it to work better when set to false. I cannot imagine how the other settings you mention could influence the mouse cursor behaviour.
Some suggestions I'd seen whilst Googling the issue suggested experimenting with these settings. Good to know "hardcursor" should be kept as false.

I should add that when in windowed mode, my mouse can still "escape" the SheepShaver window, even after I press CTRL-F5. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I would guess if the mouse is captured it shouldn't be able to move out of the window, which is why I was wondering if one of the Big Sur security settings were to blame.

Daniel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Grabbing the mouse cursor (Ctrl-F5) only works with the software cursor (hardcursor false).
heliomass
Space Cadet

Post by heliomass »

I feel like a right idiot :lol:

I of course needed to hold the FN key as I did CTRL-F5, and as you stated ensure hardcursor was set to false. It works exactly as advertised.

Thanks for your help and for humouring my question :)

Daniel.