Help re basic TopicsHello friends, FYR: I recently upgraded to MacOS 'Big Sur' v. 11.1. I use Sheepshaver mainly for Hy

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Chuck
Student Driver

Help re basic TopicsHello friends, FYR: I recently upgraded to MacOS 'Big Sur' v. 11.1. I use Sheepshaver mainly for Hy

Post by Chuck »

Hello friends,

I recently upgraded to MacOS 'Big Sur' v. 11.1. I use Sheepshaver mainly for HyperCard in the Japanese version. I have the original Japanese CD.

Is there somewhere on the website that can explain the original and roles of the four components in the SheepShaver folder?

MACOS9
MAC OS ROM
key codes

What are these files? Where do they come from? What roles do they play?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Help re basic TopicsHello friends, FYR: I recently upgraded to MacOS 'Big Sur' v. 11.1. I use Sheepshaver mainly fo

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Interesting that you don't know where your SheepShaver installation came from...?

The roles of the files you mention:
-MacOS9 contains the installation of Mac OS 9 and your programs. It is virtual hard disk read by SheepShaver when it starts. If you installed Mac OS 9 yourself from a Mac OS CD, you would have created that file yourself.
-Mac OS Rom contains the boot code for Mac OS, much like the bios in a PC. As SheepShaver does not emulate all hardware that was present in a real Mac of those days, it needs to fix some references to hardware not available. It does this by changing the Mac OS Rom during startup, letting Mac OS think it runs on a real Mac.
-Key codes is a simple text file containing the translation of your keyboard layout to a layout Mac OS 9 can work with.

Our guide explains SheepShaver: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

Best,
Cat_7