Standard, Extended, or DOS disk

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Standard, Extended, or DOS disk

Post by starfiretbt »

When creating a new hard disk volume in sheepshaver there seems to be an option of standard, extended, or dos. Which one should be selected? From what I looked up online it looks like standard is an older format while extended is a newer format. Does that mean for games that are old use standard and games that are new use extended? I also assume Dos is for dos files, am I wrong?

Also I have been divided over something involving forum etiquette. If someone helps me should I post a thank you? I used to do that then I thought it would show a reply and the helper would have to spend time out of their day checking it out so maybe the kinder thing would be to let the post conclude.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Standard, Extended, or DOS disk

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

System 7 through MacOS 8.0 can only use Standard format (HFS).
MacOS 8.1 and later can use both Standard and Extended format (HFS+). The extended HFS+ is then the preferred format, especially for larger disks.
DOS used to be for compatibility with non-Mac computers. Better not use it in the emulators. Most Classic Mac files will not survive on a DOS disk.

(No need to post 'thank you', unless it provides information, like that a discussed problem was solved.)
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Also, HFS (not HFS+) has a maximum total drive size of 2GB, at least on real hardware.

At least applies when using the 630 rom in Basilisk I presume (had a real Quadra 630 back in the day).
Last edited by WizKid on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you are interested in more technical details, see:

Mac OS Standard (HFS): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System
Mac OS Extended (HFS+): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus