Odd full screen behavior in version 2.5 (7 Feb '21)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

Odd full screen behavior in version 2.5 (7 Feb '21)

Post by almeath »

I am experiencing an odd window related behavior with the latest build of 7 February 2021. I am using macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a retina iMac.

I always launch SheepShaver in full screen mode. When launching, at the part where I see an all-black screen (and prior to the desktop with 'happy Mac' appearing), I briefly see the SheepShaver menu bar at the top of the screen moving up and down a couple of times, before disappearing. It is hard to describe, but it appears that the 'full screen' window for SheepShaver is expanding, contracting and then expanding again, but without the rest of the screen being affected.

The effect is like the menu bars showing up for a second, shifting down the black screen (about 3 times the vertical length of the menu bar) and then back up to the top of the screen again, before disappearing. SheepShaver then proceeds to load normally and work without any further problems. When launching the older build from September 2020, I do not experience this problem.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: Odd full screen behavior in version 2.5 (7 Feb '21)

Post by almeath »

Here are some links to screen shots. What really confuses me is that the title bar says Basilisk II? :?:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtnw4comibttszt/SS1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83x2t0fy764ccky/SS2.png?dl=0

As mentioned above, these only show up for a couple of seconds before full screen returns to normal.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

With the latest SDL2 version 2.0.14 (December 2020), SheepShaver and BasiliskII builds would freeze at the initial black screen when launched in Window mode. The issue was fixed by kanjitalk755 earlier this month and SheepShaver and BasiliskII again get past that initial black screen. But, yes, the jumping title bar looks a bit odd.

I do not know how "Basilisk II" could appear in the briefly visible title bar. That is certainly a bug or rather a cosmetic issue. I did not notice that before. Possibly a simple copy-paste error in the source. In window mode the title bar shows correctly "SheepShaver". I will report the issue to kanjitalk755.

Switching between window mode and full-screen mode and back again using Control-Return works smoothly as before. Also there the title bar may appear for a moment in the wrong place when switching from window mode to full screen mode. That was already so in earlier builds and that title bar still shows correctly "SheepShaver".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

kanjitalk755 responded promptly, as always.

The issue with the initial window title (BasiliskII instead of SheepShaver) is fixed in today's build.

The jumping window title bar at full-screen launch is inevitable with current SDL2.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Thanks for arranging the quick fix on the title bar. Yes, the SDL issue makes sense now. I recall similar but not identical behavior when switching from SDL1 to SDL2 on some builds of DOSBox.

I have built from source before using the instructions on kanjitalk755's Github page. Do you know if there is a command to force a build of SheepShaver using the older SDL1 rather than SDL2? Or are there deeper changes to the code that make that impossible now?

I know that for DOSBox and some other emulators, the option is preserved to compile a legacy SDL1 version if preferred.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I do not know if it is possible to build form kanjitalk755 source with SDL1. We started building with SDL2 when we switched from cebix/macemu to kanjitalk755/macemu fork. If you want to know, better ask kanjitalk755 himself.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 pm I do not know if it is possible to build form kanjitalk755 source with SDL1. We started building with SDL2 when we switched from cebix/macemu to kanjitalk755/macemu fork. If you want to know, better ask kanjitalk755 himself.
Thanks, will do.
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

There are two full screen modes in SDL2, and the following branch uses the other.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... fullscreen

It improves the behavior when starting in full screen, but has the following issues:
  • We can't switch applications with command+tab.
  • It worked fine on Catalina, but I don't know on earlier OS.
Which is better?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I posted a test build here: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... n_test.zip
Not notarized, so you may need to use right-click or control-click to open it the first time.

Launching in fullscreen mode looks better.

Not only Command-Tab does not work, but also all methods of switching between spaces do not work after launching in fullscreen mode.
It certainly is a limitation to not be able to get out of SheepShaver after it was launched fullscreen other than switching to window mode first.

But how much of a limitation is it?
After switching to window mode and back again to fullscreen mode, that limitation is lifted and switching between apps and spaces works fine.

I wonder how many users actually launch SheepShaver fullscreen. I myself always launch in window mode and switch to fullscreen mode when I need or want it. So I will never encounter the cosmetic issue at launch nor the inability to directly switch between screens or apps when running SheepShaver fullscreen.

The choice should be for users who always launch SheepShaver in fullscreen mode.

(I tested this build on Catalina only.)
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

The alternate build works fine in Mojave. This time it flashes back and forth between a black screen and the desktop for about 1 second, but then proceeds to launch and run normally. I personally find that far less annoying than the bouncing menu bar.

It would be good to preserve the option to choose either build, at least until SDL2 issues are resolved. Who knows if Apple would ever fix it..

I always launch in full screen because I build application wrappers on a per-app basis and launch directly into them as if they are a native modern Mac app. I find that approach is great for maintaining a game library, with no distracting desktop in the background.

Everyone’s use case is different, so hopefully the choice can be offered.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The only time I launch into fullscreen is when I'm running a dedicated app like @almeath was mentioning. Usually when using it that way, I want to be able to use my gestures to switch desktops. That said, I rarely go fullscreen, as usually I'm running my configs in 720p windows. I'm only running on Big Sur these days, so not much of a help on back compatibility.
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

I have implemented a workaround of this issue.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... ullscreen2

If your hardware supports Metal and you want to improve the behavior of fullscreen, append following line to ~/.sheepshaver_prefs.

Code: Select all

sdlrender metal
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

kanjitalk755 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:12 am I have implemented a workaround of this issue.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... ullscreen2

If your hardware supports Metal and you want to improve the behavior of fullscreen, append following line to ~/.sheepshaver_prefs.

Code: Select all

sdlrender metal
Using the fullscreen2 branch and setting the metal render preference essentially fixed the problem in Mojave. The menu bar only flashes on screen for a fraction of a second, and there is no bouncing effect at all. Thank you.

Will the "test_fullscreen2" branch be merged with the master code?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This build crashes at launch on my late 2013 iMac with macOS 10.15.7 if sdlrender metal is not added to the prefs file.

With sdlrender metal added it does indeed behave better during fullscreen launch, and with app/space/desktop change functionality intact.

What happens on Macs that do not support metal? For the the builds I distribute for High Sierra and later it probably does not matter.
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

My mistake.
Please check test_fullscreen2 branch again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Crash solved.

Without "sdlrender metal" > the old behaviour with the cosmetic issue at launch.
With "sdlrender metal" > nicer behaviour at launch.

Did not try yet, but I suppose BasiliskII will behave the same.
Edit: BasiliskII behaves the same.

What will happen when someone tries with "sdlrender metal" on a Mac that does not support metal?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Someone with hardware that only goes up to Sierra will have to weigh in -- I've got some, but it's running El Capitan, so isn't supported by the build anyway.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe using Metal should be the default behaviour on Macs that support it.

Edit: Can any Mac running macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or later be considered to support Metal?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm Maybe using Metal should be the default behaviour on Macs that support it.

Edit: Can any Mac running macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or later be considered to support Metal?
Any Mac running macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or later supports Metal; there are a few 2009-2011 devices that run on 10.12 but don't support Metal.

What would be nice is a hybrid binary that checks if Metal/Metal 2 is available and can fail backwards... but I'm not sure where SDL2 is at with that feature right now.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:51 pmthere are a few 2009-2011 devices that run on 10.12 but don't support Metal.
I suppose you mean "that run on 10.13". In MacTracker I found some iMacs from before 2012 (so no Metal) that indeed do run 10.13.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:20 pm
adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:51 pmthere are a few 2009-2011 devices that run on 10.12 but don't support Metal.
I suppose you mean "that run on 10.13". In MacTracker I found some iMacs from before 2012 (so no Metal) that indeed do run 10.13.
Yup; typo on my part.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 pm Someone with hardware that only goes up to Sierra will have to weigh in -- I've got some, but it's running El Capitan, so isn't supported by the build anyway.
I wish I could help test this, but unfortunately my only non-Metal supporting Mac (2008 MacBook) is too old to load High Sierra.
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

The latest source can be set Deployment Target to 10.7.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/issues/76
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In my latest builds, also in the above test build, both Deployment Target and minimum system version are set to 10.7. They have never been tested on macOS earlier than High Sierra, but they may run.

Edit: My latest fullscreen test build (with crash solved) is here: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... test_2.zip
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:10 am Edit: My latest fullscreen test build (with crash solved) is here: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... test_2.zip
Works great in Mojave. Thanks. :smile: