HFV Explorer and file type mapping

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

HFV Explorer and file type mapping

Post by starfiretbt »

I'm trying to get some files onto a volume in sheepshaver but everytime I open the volume there is a file titled "where have all my files gone?" Clicking on it I get a message that says "There is no file type mapping from (ttro,ttxt). Please define it in the dialog that will open next."
I do not know what to do from there.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: HFV Explorer and file type mapping

Post by emendelson »

That is the error message you get when you try to access an HFS+ volume (not original HFS, but HFS+) from Mac OS 8.0 or earlier versions; files on the HFS+ volume will only be visible from Mac OS 8.1 or later. Does this make sense in your situation?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I think so since I am using Sheepshaver I need to make volumes and they come in three options, one is dos which I understand I shouldn't use, one is an standard which as I understand it is useful for games that could just run on Basilisk II, the other is something called extended which sounds like the kind PPC programs need.
So if I need to make extended volumes for sheepshaver does this mean I need a special kind of HFV Explorer to be able to put programs onto those volumes? I'm told HFV Explorer is the ideal program for getting mac programs into an emulator, as opposed to using the "my computer" option.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

starfiretbt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:25 pmthe other is something called extended which sounds like the kind PPC programs need.
Mac OS Standard (HFS) and Mac OS Extended (HFS+) can both be used with Mac OS 8.1 or later. Earlier System/Mac OS versions, also on PPC, can only use Mac OS Standard (HFS).
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I understand that, how do I use HFV Explorer to get games onto Sheepshaver since it sounds like HFV Explorer doesn't like Extended volumes which is what I need for Sheepshaver, otherwise I would be using Basilisk. HFV Explorer looks at my volumes and only sees some kind of text document that says "where have all my files gone?" Clicking on it I get a message that says "There is no file type mapping from (ttro,ttxt). Please define it in the dialog that will open next."
So the question is how do I define the file type mapping for the volumes so I can use HFV Explorer on Sheepshaver.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You don't need HFS+ (HFS Extended) volumes for SheepShaver. SheepShaver works perfectly well with HFS volumes.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I was told extended is the preferred format in the post below. But if you say standard will work just as well I will give it a try, I'm worried I will run into problems and won't know it's because the program is on the wrong kind of format.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11031&p=69224#p69224
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:24 am I was told extended is the preferred format in the post below. But if you say standard will work just as well I will give it a try, I'm worried I will run into problems and won't know it's because the program is on the wrong kind of format.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11031&p=69224#p69224
I'm on macOS using sparse bundles for images, but all my SheepShaver images are using HFS. There's really nothing that HFS+ brings to the table for Mac OS in SheepShaver.

Applications don't know/care what partition format is used to store them; the OS handles that transparently. The only place you'd run into trouble is if the filesystem doesn't support some feature the OS needs to do its work -- and that's not a problem for Mac OS through 9.0.4.

[edit] actually, there's TWO things HFS+ brings to the table: it supports partitions larger than 2GB, and it is natively readable by modern macOS. Since you're on Windows, #2 is actually a problem not a solution... and since this is an emulator, if you need more than 2GB of storage space, just create a new image.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

OK, thank you for that advice.