[Help] There is not enough memory zero K needed [solved]

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

crevace
Space Cadet

[Help] There is not enough memory zero K needed [SOLVED]

Post by crevace »

Issue

Running Power Pete on Mac OS 9 Sheep Saver for Windows throws an error (shown below) considering RAM allocated is 1024 MB
There is not enough memory to open Power Pete (zero K needed, 1,023,354K available)
Closing windows or quitting desk accessories can make more memory available

Note that I removed links to the actual files that I used as I might violate forum rules.

Steps to reproduce
1. Install SheepSaver
2. Download ROM
3. Extract the zip and copy the file inside the <SheepSaverDir> and name it "Mac OS ROM" without extension
4. Download Mac OS 9 ISO
5. After download, make sure the Read Only property of the file is disabled/unticked in windows
6. Open SheepSaverGUI.exe and add the ISO to the Volumes tab, then Press Start
7. Close down SheepSaver and download Power Pete
8. Create a folder called "Applications" inside <SheepSaverDir>\Virtual Desktop , make sure the folder properties Read Only is disabled/unticked
9. Start SheepSaver, open "This PC" and navigate to "Power_Pete.sit" , and extract it to the "Desktop\Applications"
10. Run Power Pete from the Desktop\Applications\Power Pete

Expectation
It will run without memory error because 1024mb is allocated and is not used by the system also the memory needed is "zero" K

ROM Information
Name: New World PPC ROM

System Information
SheepSaver: SheepShaver for Windows (17-03-2021)
Mac OS Image: Apple MacOS 9.0.4.iso

SheepSaver Information
From here https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... U/download
MacOS RAM Size (MB): 1024
ROM File:
Don't Use CPU When Idle: Yes
Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses: Yes
Try to automatically detect new removable media (enable polling): Yes
Enable "My Computer" icon on your Mac desktop (external file system): Yes

Mac OS 9.0.4 Information

MacOS 9 Application Information
Name: Power Pete (aka Mighty Mike)
Last edited by crevace on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: [Help] There is not enough memory zero K needed

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Is the MacOS 9.0.4.iso a fully pre-installed system or a MacOS install CD image? If it is an install CD image, it seems you did not install the system (at least you do not mention installing MacOS).

2. The error message is typical for when you try to run an application (this game) while it is not yet installed properly. The application should be copied to (the Applications folder on) the virtual HD on which you installed MacOS.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm 1. Is the MacOS 9.0.4.iso a fully pre-installed system or a MacOS install CD image? If it is an install CD image, it seems you did not install the system (at least you do not mention installing MacOS).
The background image is the install CD-ROM background image, so your point is surely correct.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

1. Since the desktop background is the OS 9 Install CD background, I'd guess that this is not running on an installed copy of OS 9, but is booting off the (locked) install CD. Please follow the instructions on the wiki here to set up a clean installation of OS 9.

2. Power Pete has issues on more recent versions of Mac OS. It runs better on System 7.1. That said, there IS a version available that runs great on OS 9 -- AmbrosiaSW just had to rename it to Mighty Mike due to a trademark dispute with the makers of the PowerfulPete keyfob.
crevace
Space Cadet

Post by crevace »

Thank you guys, I have made it work by following the installation instructions and by copying it to the Applications folder

Last edited by crevace on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.