Sheepshaver crashing a lot

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

patddfan
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver crashing a lot

Post by patddfan »

Hi, I'm trying to run SheepShaver under macOS 10.15.7, and when I ran SheepShaver from a terminal command, it returns the following message:

"ioctl(DKIOCCDREADTOC) failed: Bad file descriptor"

I was using a Mac OS 8 Disk image to try and install it to my system (using the PowerMac 6500 rom). what am I doing wrong?

I've also had issues using the prebuilt version that Edward Mendelson made. That system will crash, then, it will constantly nag me for the missing "MacOS9BackgroundScript" after it initially crashes. How do I fix these issues? Thank You
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver crashing a lot

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This reply is for the regular SheepShaver setup (not for Edward Mendelson's pre-configured setup).

Please follow our setup manual to the letter: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

For MacOS 7.5.3 through 8.1, use the suggested oldworld rom file.
For MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4, best use the suggested newworld rom file.

Where did you get the Mac OS 8 disk image you used?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheepshaver crashing a lot

Post by emendelson »

Questions about my prebuilt Mac OS 9 app belong in the "Other SheepShaver Configurations" subforum. But, while we're here, my system should work on Catalina if you start it normally by double-clicking the application. If you do anything else, it won't work. If you're starting it normally and getting an error, then possibly the disk image is corrupted; if so, download the application again and replace the copy that isn't working.