Creating an alias ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Creating an alias ...

Post by rlesperance »

Hello,

I moved my data files around in OS X (10.15.7) following a new sync/backup strategy. By doing that, an alias in OS 9 that pointed to a folder in OS X does not find it's way back.

Since I have been configuring that while a time ago, can you help me fix this alias ?

Thanks for being there.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Creating an alias ...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know how you set up SheepShaver. An alias in MacOS9 that points to a folder in OSX can only be made if that folder is in the shared folder on the OSX side.

Open "Unix", find the folder, and drag the folder to the MacOS9 desktop while holding both Option and Command keys. When you drop the folder on the desktop while still holding Option-Command, the alias will be created.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Ronald,

That's the point, I don't remember what I originaly did. I know, though, that everything worked and that it doesn't anymore.

So, of what folder are we talking about:

• Users/MyUserFolder/Public ... or
• Users/MyUserFolder/Public/Dropbox ... or
• Users/SharedUserFolder ... or
• Users/SharedUserFolder/Dropbox

Thanks for popping in.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

I should of said an alias from OS X that is available to OS 9.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Again, you can only create an alias in MacOS9 to a folder that resides in your shared folder on the OSX side ("Unix" on the MacOS9 side).

Maybe it is not an alias you are talking about, but the shared folder/Unix feature. Did you loose Unix from the MacOS9 desktop?

Then look in SheepShaver Preferences which folder you assigned to be your shared folder. The path to that folder is mentioned after "Unix Root". If the folder was moved, move it back or recreate that folder.

Or you can create a new folder, if you wish in a different location, and point Unix Root to that new folder.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Let's start over. I probably incorrectly explained my problem.

My app in OS 9 creates data files that I want to see/manage on the OS X side. How do I do that ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I told above how to do that, I do not know how else to explain.

Maybe post the content of your prefs file here, so I can see for myself how you did set this up before you started moving files around:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.

The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Here is the result:

disk /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/Mac OS 9 HD.dmg
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/Nous/Documents/SheepShaver
screen win/1280/800
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

I found what I didn't explain correctly.

First, I didn't tell you that I want that the original data of the OS 9 app resides with all my personal data folder in OS X. That data is sensitive and I want to be able to backup it with all my other personal files without complication. To have access to that data from OS 9, I have been using symlink and not aliases.

So I found my way back home. Everything is back working now.

Thanks for helping.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

As you can see in the Sheepshaver's prefs, the files created by the OS 9 app are stored in the /Users/Nous/Documents/SheepShaver folder. That is where I placed the OS X symlink folder that I told you about.

Could that folder be placed in Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver along with the Mac OS 9 HD.dmg file instead ?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

It's unclear whether the OP is using my Mac OS 9 app or not. The answer to the question depends on that. But if my Mac OS 9 app is NOT being used, then simply change the extfs folder in the prefs file to anything you want, and tell your applications to save to that folder. The Mac OS 9 app doesn't create files. Your applications running under SheepShaver create files. Tell them where you want them to save, and they will do as you say.

I admit that I'm baffled by what the question is, and it may be easiest to start over and spell out exactly which programs and files are involved and exactly what you are trying to do.

EDIT: If the question is "Can I change the location of the extfs folder?" then the answer is: change it it to anywhere you want. If you are NOT using my Mac OS 9 app, then edit the prefs file. If you ARE using my Mac OS 9 app, then hold down the Option key when launching the application and read the menu that appears.
Last edited by emendelson on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The location of your files in Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/ is a little odd for a regular setup. So an important question to be answered first is:

Did you do a regular SheepShaver setup yourself, with files and guide provided here, or do you use the "Mac OS 9" application downloaded from the columbia.edu site.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hello Ronald,

I originaly did the setup my self using the guide on your web site and that setup dates from many years. Despite the advices, I normally fit those rules to match my own objectives and guide lines. So while, I must have followed them almost religiously, I may have modified them a bit.

The new file locations are the result of moving some of them to Dropbox for my backup strategy. The OS 9 disk and system files are in the ~/Library/Application support/SheepShaver folder. I found that simple and straightforward. As for the files generated by the OS 9 app, I nested them with other personal files with the same purpose.

My new SheepShaver preferences are :

disk /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/Mac OS 9 HD.dmg
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/Nous/Nuage/Dropbox/Mac/Documents/Fichiers/Mes dossiers/Résultats/Comptabilité/SheepShaver
screen win/1280/800
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Nous/Library/Application Support/SheepShaver/keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

If those locations are not recommended for some reason, your comments are welcome.

Thanks again for being there and being a so precious ressource for OS 9 disciples.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If it works as intended, the locations are OK.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks again. I will get to another problem I have in a new thread.