ERROR: "Unsuported ROM Type"

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kedare
Space Cadet

ERROR: "Unsuported ROM Type"

Post by kedare »

Hi all !
I try to run MacOs9 on my PC (Windows XP SP2) ,
but when i launch SheepShaver , i get this error :
"Unsuported ROM Type"
i have get the ROM file from the MacOs9 Install CD
what i can do ? :(
(i dont have any more PowerPC Macintosh here :/)

thanks !
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A ROM file from a MacOS 9 install CD does not work. Best results I have seen are with the Mac OS ROM extracted from the "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0", but you will need MacOS to run TomeViewer to extract the ROM file from the installer. (No friend who happened to have an old Mac somewhere?)
Although distribution of Apple ROM files is illegal and effectively prevented by Apple's legal department, you may find one when searching the internet extensively.
Maybe you can find a ROM file that can be used with BasiliskII and System 7.5.3 or a ROM file that can be used with Mini vMac and System 7.0.1 and use that to get the ROM file you need for SheepShaver.
kedare
Space Cadet

Post by kedare »

Okay , i have extract the rom from the MAc OS Update , and its ok , but a question :
Why it cant be download ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is illegal, license regulations forbid it, and Apple is very strict about it. Web sites that offered ROM files for download were forced to remove the file.
You are only supposed own and use a ROM file when you actually own the associated Macintosh machine.
kedare
Space Cadet

Post by kedare »

Okay ^^
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

I'm encountering the same problem with the same OS. There are some differences in my situation:

1) I'm using an OS 9 .iso instead of the CD-ROM, but the file is the entire OS.

2) I had someone with a PowerPC Mac extract the ROM 1.0 Update for me, and I'm assuming the file sent to me is the extracted file (1.9 mb).

I used this article as a basis for hooking up OS 9 to SheepShaver: http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml

I set my disk image up very similar to the one in the SheepShaver section of the article above, but set up my RAM to 256 mb instead of 64 mb, and put the Emulation folder for the Unix Root directly in my Users folder.

For reference, I'm using a MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.33ghz.

Any suggestions, or do you need more details?
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Actually, I just noticed the .iso files aren't showing up on my laptop at all. Are .iso files not Mac-compatible? I know I have them on my thumb drive, and even swear I transferred them to my laptop. Any ideas?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you get an error stating the rom file is unsupported when starting sheepshaver, then the rom image got corrupted along the way. If you can, please have it resent to you in a .dmg or hqx format.

How did you tell sheepshaver to use the .iso for cd?
Did you add it to the volumes list?

In the gui, you should set: boot from "any"

And .iso files are supported in OSX. They are the same as uncompressed .dmg files. If you want to you can change the extension.

Please report back.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mr. Magoo wrote:Actually, I just noticed the .iso files aren't showing up on my laptop at all. Are .iso files not Mac-compatible? I know I have them on my thumb drive, and even swear I transferred them to my laptop. Any ideas?
What exactly do you mean? Have you forgotten to which location you copied the file? Or did you not copy the file from your thumb drive? Or does the file not show up when you mount the thumb drive?

(And, like Cat_7 wrote, if you get the 'Unsupported ROM' error, than apparently the ROM file got corrupted.)
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

If you get an error stating the rom file is unsupported when starting sheepshaver, then the rom image got corrupted along the way. If you can, please have it resent to you in a .dmg or hqx format.

How did you tell sheepshaver to use the .iso for cd?
Did you add it to the volumes list?

In the gui, you should set: boot from "any"

And .iso files are supported in OSX. They are the same as uncompressed .dmg files. If you want to you can change the extension.

Please report back.

Best,
Cat_7
I looked into it and noticed the extracted ROM I was sent was a document file. I asked the person to send it back as a .dmg or .hqx file. Here's hoping...

I have the boot set to "any" but right now the main problem is my OS 9 iso images have disappeared.

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Mr. Magoo wrote:Actually, I just noticed the .iso files aren't showing up on my laptop at all. Are .iso files not Mac-compatible? I know I have them on my thumb drive, and even swear I transferred them to my laptop. Any ideas?
What exactly do you mean? Have you forgotten to which location you copied the file? Or did you not copy the file from your thumb drive? Or does the file not show up when you mount the thumb drive?

(And, like Cat_7 wrote, if you get the 'Unsupported ROM' error, than apparently the ROM file got corrupted.)
I haven't forgotten where the .iso file is; the file isn't showing up when I mount my thumb drive or when I look in my SheepShaver folder, which is where I thought I transferred it. I used Finder and couldn't find it anywhere else, either. However, I have a backup copy at work and can just put that back on my thumb drive. Hopefully, my problems are that simple to fix.

I'll check back if I still have problems. Thanks, guys!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mr. Magoo wrote:I looked into it and noticed the extracted ROM I was sent was a document file. I asked the person to send it back as a .dmg or .hqx file. Here's hoping...
Well, yes, the ROM file will be a document file on your Intel Mac. Sending it on a .dmg disk image or encoding it as .hqx file is just to protect it. The file itself should then of course be copied from the disk image or be decoded from the binhex (.hqx) file.
I haven't forgotten where the .iso file is; the file isn't showing up when I mount my thumb drive or when I look in my SheepShaver folder, which is where I thought I transferred it. I used Finder and couldn't find it anywhere else, either. However, I have a backup copy at work and can just put that back on my thumb drive.
What is the name of that file? You did not give it a name that starts with a "." (a dot), did you? A file with a name that starts with a "." will be invisible in the MacOSX Finder.
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Mr. Magoo wrote:I looked into it and noticed the extracted ROM I was sent was a document file. I asked the person to send it back as a .dmg or .hqx file. Here's hoping...
Well, yes, the ROM file will be a document file on your Intel Mac. Sending it on a .dmg disk image or encoding it as .hqx file is just to protect it. The file itself should then of course be copied from the disk image or be decoded from the binhex (.hqx) file.
I haven't forgotten where the .iso file is; the file isn't showing up when I mount my thumb drive or when I look in my SheepShaver folder, which is where I thought I transferred it. I used Finder and couldn't find it anywhere else, either. However, I have a backup copy at work and can just put that back on my thumb drive.
What is the name of that file? You did not give it a name that starts with a "." (a dot), did you? A file with a name that starts with a "." will be invisible in the MacOSX Finder.
I made (some) progress!

I don't know what happened with my old iso image, and I don't care anymore because I got it from my work PC and got it on my thumbdrive and onto my MacBook with no problems. *thumbs up*

Also, I think the ROM update was fine - somehow I overlooked the ROM box below the RAM setup in SheepShaver GUI, so I gave the correct path to the ROM, unzipped the iso, and now...I get the grey startup screen with the disk and question mark. I had to force quit SheepShaver since the normal Quit command didn't work.

New ideas? Or links to threads that are relevant to my new problem?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver apparently could not find a useable boot disk. Did you add the path to the .iso file in the volumes list? (And do not mount the .iso file in MacOSX.)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It might be something else to consider is the boot precedence in SheepShaver:

If the hard disk image you are going to use for system disk is not bootable (and it isn't because you didn't install mac os on it yet), sheepshaver looks for a cd rom to boot from.

It might be you need to enter the .iso file of the installation disk as first entry in the volumes list.

Best,
Cat_7
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Loading from the iso as you suggested and not the disk image got OS 9 to boot and show the Happy Mac, but immediately pops up a window that says "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." It has a restart button but pressing it just pops the window up again.

Did I do something wrong, or does this Mac need the disk to tell that it's not a copy?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah, mac security...

Can you burn the image you got to a cd? Then your troubles should be over.
It seems the sheepshaver-mac detects you are not running from cd, and thus aborts installation.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Cat_7 wrote:Can you burn the image you got to a cd?
That should be easy on your MacBook Pro. In Disk Utility click the "Burn" icon, then choose the .iso file in the 'Open' dialog and follow instructions.
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

I burned the iso to a disc this morning, and I got the OS to load and install, but I can't load off the disk image that OS 9 is installed on when I restart SheepShaver. For some reason it has to load off the CD each time, or else it gives me the question mark floppy.

Also, I can get several of my OS 9 games to work in SheepShaver, but none work with sound. Some games make SheepShaver quit, along with Quicksilver, for some odd reason.

I'm going to check the other forum topics for threads related to my new problems.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The sound issue is an old one. You should search for the "sound" control panel on your cd or installed os to select the output.

EDIT: Saw your message was about Intel Mac, so these lines below do not apply :lol:
About booting:
How did you create your hard disk image in Windows? If you used the preferences editor the hard disk image should be ok.

Did you also remove the earlier .iso cd image from the volumes list and did you select " boot from any" in the preferences editor?

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ Mr. Magoo

Earlier you wrote that you use SheepShaver on a MacBook. How did you create the disk image that you used to install MacOS 9 onto? If you used Disk Utility to create the image file, you can install MacOS on it but SheepShaver will not boot from it. Disk Utility on Intel Mac creates volumes that cannot boot MacOS. If you did not use Disk Utility, you may have set "Boot from CD-ROM" in SheepShaverGUI or SheepShaverPrefs.

Use SheepShaverGUI or SheepShaverPrefs to create the volume and make sure that "Boot from Any" is set in GUI or Prefs. While booting from the CD, the system will encounter the new volume and will ask to initialize it. Name the volume and choose "Mac OS Extended" for the format.

In MacOS 9 you will find the Sound control panel with the installed control panels in the Apple menu. Select the "Built in" output format to enable sound.
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

You guys are great. OS 9 is now working off the drive and not the CD, and it looks like I have sound, although none of my games work. This is strange because I got some to work when I created a dmg through Disk Utility previously (which is why I couldn't run OS 9 off the drive, as you pointed out). Also, some games appear in my Games folder in OS 9, but others are missing. I look at the same Games folder in OS X and all the OS 9 games I have are in that folder, so I don't know why several are hidden, and why none work. I should note that all the games are downloaded abandonware from Macintosh Garden, if that helps.

I'll check the forum to see if there are any related topics as well. If you guys have any pointers for this new problem, they will be appreciated.

*salutes towards the Netherlands*
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mr. Magoo wrote:Also, some games appear in my Games folder in OS 9, but others are missing. I look at the same Games folder in OS X and all the OS 9 games I have are in that folder, so I don't know why several are hidden, and why none work.
"The same Games folder in MacOSX"? Exactly how is your setup? Which folder did you make your shared folder? Do not use a folder with important content as your shared folder. Create a separate folder to move files between MacOSX and MacOS. Only use it to move document files, better not use it to move applications or folders unless archived as, for instance, .sit or .hqx files.

Best way to get your MacOS games from MacOSX to MacOS:
Use Disk Utility to create a large enough disk image, mount it in MacOSX and copy the games (and other applications and files) onto it. Add the image file to SheepShaver's volumes list. It will mount in MacOS as extra volume. To prevent possible file system corruption on this volume, make sure the image is not mounted in MacOSX while SheepShaver is running!
Mr. Magoo
Space Cadet

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Sorry for being vague. The Games folder I was referring to was a folder I made specifically for OS 9 games, or Classic games, really. This Games folder went into that Unix folder that you designate as some sort of shared folder for SheepShaver files to run in OS 9 or older in SheepShaver.

Anyway, I made another disk image using Disk Utility and put my games in that disk as you suggested and it works pretty good - some games seem to run a little sluggish, but I think that might be based on the ROM I'm using (whatever specs the ROM 1.0 Update has). Maybe not - I'm still very new with SheepShaver so there's a lot I don't know about it. I was running a game and even got the classic Bomb window with the "Continue" and "Restart" options, which shut down OS 9 and SheepShaver as well. Ah, the good ol' days...

Seriously though, things are running as I expect them to, for the most part, so I'd say all my dilemmas are solved. Thanks again, you guys.
Evpupka
Space Cadet

Re: ERROR: "Unsuported ROM Type"

Post by Evpupka »

hello! i have a problem "Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry." while copying rom file to sheepshaver. Help me please :sad:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: ERROR: "Unsuported ROM Type"

Copy ROM file to SheepShaver? Exactly what are you doing?

Are you trying to set up a regular SheepShaver setup following our setup guide? On Windows or on OSX/macOS?

Or are you trying a preconfigured setup like the "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS" or "Mac OS 9 for Windows".