No sound in SheepShaver/Mac OS 9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

John Musbach
Space Cadet

No sound in SheepShaver/Mac OS 9

Post by John Musbach »

Hello, I am running the latest version of sheepshaver (2.3-pre) and have installed Mac OS 9 from within SheepShaver. The install disc was able to emit sound and when for example the dialog comes up to scan the disk after a improper shutdown sound is also emitted. Yet when I normally boot into Mac OS 9 in sheepshaver there is no sound and when in the sound control panel there is no output source to choose from (the list is completely blank). I am using the default sound values of:

Audio Output Device: /dev/disp
Audio Mixer Device: /dev/mixer

I have absolutely no idea why it is working in some places and not others... I am running SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram, volume is of course turned up. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix this? I really would like to have sound when using Mac OS 9... Thanks!

- John Musbach
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »

Did you use an universal install disc, or a machine specific one?
John Musbach
Space Cadet

Post by John Musbach »

hello, thank you for the reply :)

I am using a universal install disc...

My plan of action based on research I have done since initially making this thread is as follows:

1) Update SheepShaver binary with this one: http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5004

2) Delete the Sheepshaver_nvram.dat file

3) Cross my fingers

4) Report back my findings here

Wish me luck! :)
John Musbach
Space Cadet

Post by John Musbach »

I solved the problem, turns out the rom I was using (TNT PowerMac 8600) didn't support builtin sound when used with SheepShaver, so I followed the instructions here: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... ow_to.html to extract the newworld rom from the imac update 1.1 and everything is working good now :)
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Why you need a Mac OS ROM when you have a real ROM?
Delete the "Apple Audio Extension" and try again using your 8600 ROM. see if there is the "Built-in" sound output device in the sound control panel. I do this every time when I install universal retail 9.0 with my 8500 ROM.
demonpants
Space Cadet

Post by demonpants »

Wow... I don't seem to have any control panels.

Can anyone potentially send me a ZIP file of a full control panels folder? Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Huh? No control panels? That is not possible after a normal system installation. Where do you look for your control panels? There should be a folder "Control panels" in the System folder and an alias to that folder in the "Apple menu" folder in System folder. If the control panels are missing, one could wonder what else is missing. Maybe you should install your system again.
demonpants
Space Cadet

Post by demonpants »

Yup, unfortunately Sheep Shaver wouldn't recognize my OS 9 install disc so I simply downloaded a prepared Sheep Shaver image. And yeah, it's missing quite a few things, but everything works except for sound. I don't have the Apple Audio extension, so I can't remove that - the only thing it seems I can do is open a non-existent control panel.

And yes, I know where the control panels are, I had Mac OS 9 my entire life before Mac OS X was released. There's no where else to look, in any case.

To be fair, I do have exactly three control panels:
AppleTalk, QuickTime, and Startup Disk
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is probably a minimal system, such as can be used on a emergency disk. You probably miss much more than the thirty odd control panels in a default MacOS9 installation. Some, when added, may not work because related extensions or system file components are also missing.

Sound is enabled by selecting the Built-in output device in Sound control panel. Is your system English? My Sound control panel is Dutch. Maybe someone can provide an English MacOS9 Sound control panel (version 8.1.3).

But why don't you find yourself a proper system install disk to install a complete system?
yung_breezy
Space Cadet

Re: No sound in SheepShaver/Mac OS 9

Post by yung_breezy »

I fixed this by going to the Sound control panel and changing system alert sounds. After the first sosume sound works in other apps
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note by moderator: You posted in a 12 year old topic
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

I'm also having a problem with sound on my OS 9. Running latest Sheepshaver on Mac Catalina.

In the Sound control panel I can see that the output sound is maximum and set to built-in.

In the Sound control STRIP module, the sound level seems to be at zero, and pulling it up in the slider doesn't stick, it just goes back to zero.

I haven't used Sheepshaver for a long time, and only just discoverd in was now in a 64-bit version. My installation was created a long time ago, but seems to work ok in general, just this one major issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

danco wrote:In the Sound control panel I can see that the output sound is maximum and set to built-in.
The only Output choice will be "Built-in", but did you make sure that choice is selected (clicked on, highlighted)?
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

What a simple solution! Works fine.