Stuck booting forever after several successful boots

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

laotze
Space Cadet

Stuck booting forever after several successful boots

Post by laotze »

Hi, I recently installed and ran SheepShaver for the first time on my M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.7.4. I set up Mac OS 9.0.4 via SheepShaver without a problem following the steps on the wiki guide. Everything seemed to be working fine.

However, after a few boots something has stopped working. I can’t get past the smiling Mac icon startup screen; SheepShaver hangs there forever. Force quitting and restarting hasn’t solved the issue. I didn’t change any system or SheepShaver preferences prior to the problem, so I’m not sure what could be causing it. I realize this is a vague issue, but does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Here are screenshots of my configuration: https://imgur.com/a/1v73k10
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Stuck booting forever after several successful boots

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Your settings seem OK.
(The preferred way to show your settings in the forum is to use the SheepShaver script "Edit prefs file" (should be in your SheepShaver folder). You can then copy the content of the prefs file and paste it here.)
If startup used to proceed normally and not anymore, without a change in settings and without additional installations, it could be corruption of the startup disk. Has there been a crash in SheepShaver? Did you continue to use control-escape to hard shut down the emulated machine, not only at the moments during setup as indicated in the setup guide?