GB-Stat crashes Sheepshaver on starting

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

midwich
Student Driver

GB-Stat crashes Sheepshaver on starting

Post by midwich »

I've tried a couple of times to gest Sheepshaver to run GB-Stat, but each time I try and open the app, Sheepshaver crashes. Any ideas? It's a defunct application at this time, so if anyone wanted to run tests I could make it available.
Thanks for any help ":)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Same problem

Post by 24bit »

Sorry for not beeing able to help you.
I am experiencing the same problem with Photoshop5.
Maybe you would like to take a look at my post "photoshop crashes"
Still Sheepshaver is great software and free, but not free of bugs.

Have you tried to uncheck the "external file system" box?
Sometimes that seemed to help me.
Best wishes!
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Hi - thanks for the advice, what is the 'external file system' box?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

midwich wrote:what is the 'external file system' box?
- In SheepShaver for Windows it is the "Enable 'My Computer' icon..." box

- In the MacOSX version there is no such box, but you could leave the "Unix Root" field empty to disable access to the external file system (= the shared folder).

- In the Linux version the "Linux Root" field has the same function as the "Unix Root" field in the MacOSX version.

Which SheepShaver version and build do you use and how and where did you install GB-Stat?
24bit
Forum All-Star

downgrade

Post by 24bit »

All my (problematic) programs are running now.
The reason is: I "downgraded" to SheepShaver2.3, OS7.6
and a 4MB "oldworld" macrom.
The emulation is quite fast and stable.
Sound output is working without problems.

M a c h i n e T y p e : P M 9 5 0 0 \ 9 6 0 0
G e s t a l t I D : 6 7
P h y s i c a l R A M S i z e : 1 , 0 7 3 , 7 4 1 , 8 2 4
C P U S p e e d : 1 0 0 M H z
B u s S p e e d : 1 0 0 M H z
R O M V e r s i o n : $ 0 7 7 D
R O M S i z e : 3 , 1 4 5 , 7 2 8

Greetings!
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
midwich wrote:what is the 'external file system' box?
- In SheepShaver for Windows it is the "Enable 'My Computer' icon..." box

- In the MacOSX version there is no such box, but you could leave the "Unix Root" field empty to disable access to the external file system (= the shared folder).

- In the Linux version the "Linux Root" field has the same function as the "Unix Root" field in the MacOSX version.

Which SheepShaver version and build do you use and how and where did you install GB-Stat?
Thank you so much for such a fast response, I really appreciate it. Well from memory I think I originally tried 'Classic-on-Intel 4.01 Chubby Bunny' or somesuch on Mac OS X, and a few days ago I tried a SheepShaver-for-Wordperfect version, both with the same problem. Trouble is, after hammering the latter with crashing GB-Stat it now won't open at all. See my comments further below though - I'd be more than happy to start from scratch, doing things carefully and step-by-step.

24bit wrote:All my (problematic) programs are running now.
The reason is: I "downgraded" to SheepShaver2.3, OS7.6
and a 4MB "oldworld" macrom.
The emulation is quite fast and stable.
Sound output is working without problems.

M a c h i n e T y p e : P M 9 5 0 0 \ 9 6 0 0
G e s t a l t I D : 6 7
P h y s i c a l R A M S i z e : 1 , 0 7 3 , 7 4 1 , 8 2 4
C P U S p e e d : 1 0 0 M H z
B u s S p e e d : 1 0 0 M H z
R O M V e r s i o n : $ 0 7 7 D
R O M S i z e : 3 , 1 4 5 , 7 2 8

Greetings!

That is very very encouraging - congratulations! This gives me hope. Look, the GB-Stat folder is a slim 4.2 MB - this is a bit of a cheek, but would anyone be willing to grab a copy from me and see if it runs for them? I could e-mail it, or set up a torrent file no problem, just let me know.

If it runs for someone else then I know I just need to get serious about setting up SheepShaver properly, but if it won't run for a relative expert then I'd be wasting my time. It is a cheek as I said, but would anyone be prepared to test GB-Stat on their version of SheepShaver?

Anyway thanks for everyone's advice so far! :lol: :lol:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

We have little experience with the modified "Classic On Intel" and "SheepShaver for WordPerfect" versions of SheepShaver. If you start from scratch and setup the latest build of SheepShaver posted here, we may be able to help better. Still, if the application crashes on both the other two, it may crash on the 'real' SheepShaver also.

Note that the comments by '24bit' are about SheepShaver for Windows and you use/need SheepShaver for MacOSX. Properties and features differ between the Windows and MacOSX versions of SheepShaver.
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:We have little experience with the modified "Classic On Intel" and "SheepShaver for WordPerfect" versions of SheepShaver. If you start from scratch and setup the latest build of SheepShaver posted here, we may be able to help better. Still, if the application crashes on both the other two, it may crash on the 'real' SheepShaver also.

Note that the comments by '24bit' are about SheepShaver for Windows and you use/need SheepShaver for MacOSX. Properties and features differ between the Windows and MacOSX versions of SheepShaver.
Okay, I'll set up with the latest build here, and take it from there. I'd also be fine with running on whatever OS that works - running GB-Stat in Sheepshaver in Windows in VMWare Fusion on OS X would be more than a bit sad (I'm looking at you, Mr Jobs), but if it worked I for one wouldn't knock it. Anyway, it might take me a few days but I will get back to you once I've got the proper version of SheepShaver up and running.

In the meantime, if anyone cared to test that GB-Stat does actually work in their version of SheepShaver then let me know!
Thanks again, I'll be back :)
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

OK I've followed the superbly clear instructions from the following page:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... os_x_setup

I've got as far as a window with a floppy icon and question mark, but can't get the app to see any of the Mac OS images I've mounted. I've tried several, from 8.5 to 9.1. I make sure they're locked to start with, mount them in OSX, then doubleclick on SheepShaver app.

What might I be doing wrong here?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose you are referring to image files of system install CDs.

Read again the manual carefully from the start, specifically the lines in italics. You should NOT mount the image in MacOSX, but instead add the image file to the volumes list. (Only a real install CD should be mounted in MacOSX.)

BTW: SheepShaver can not run MacOS 9.1 or later.
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Um, what manual? I can't find any instructions of the kind you mention on the page I listed. Stuff in italics seemed just to say to make sure the image file was locked, which I've done. The page seems to imply it should all happen automatically, unless I've missed something (could well be).

I've now tried adding the image file to the volumes list, but no luck either. Tried 8.5 mainly, called 'Mac OS 8.5 Multi-install.img', am obtaining a different version of 8.5 and will try that one tomorrow, but a pointer to the manual would be very helpful.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am talking about the manual that you referred to. The manual is, BTW, written by me.

Here are all the relevant lines: The lines in italics refer to a CD image file, the instructions for a "real CD" of course do not apply to a CD image file.
The manual wrote:Note: Only generic retail Mac OS install CDs can be used with SheepShaver. A system install CD that was originally provided with a new Mac will only install on that specific model.

(A disk image of a retail Mac OS install CD can be used instead of the real CD. The disk image must be in a non-compressed format and the image file must be locked in the Finder to convince the installer that it is on the original read-only CD.)

-------

(If a CD disk image file is used instead of a real install CD: Use the “Add…” button to find and “Open” the CD disk image file. The file will appear in the Volumes list below the created volume.)

------

If you use a real install CD, first insert the CD and have it mount in Mac OS X.

(If you use a CD disk image instead of a real install CD, make sure the CD image file is locked in the Finder: Check the “Locked” box in Finder “Get Info” for the file.)

------

Proceed with the system installation and when the installation is completed, you can quit the installer.

(If you used a CD disk image file instead of a real install CD: Open SheepShaver Preferences and remove the CD disk image file from the volumes list, select it and click the Remove button.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If adding the disk image file to the volumes list does not work, then the image file may be in a format (like a compressed format) that SheepShaver cannot read or the system may not be bootable for some reason. Note that changes in preferences (like adding volumes) will not take effect until SheepShaver is quit and again launched.
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

OK I've been driven three quarters the way round the bend trying to Sheepshaver to work properly on OS X, and gave up. Instead I made much faster progress in VMWare Fusion / Windows XP, and had 9.04 up and running pretty quickly. The hard part was getting the GB-Stat over with the resource forks etc intact.

VERY long story short, I managed to get Sheepshaver in WinXP networked and so was able to send an image of the appliation folder over via e-mail. All finally looked fine - except when I double-clicked it made Sheepshaver immediately crash as has happened now in two previous installations. I tried disabling the external file system box, but no help.

I have one version on one computer still working, and might try sending a copy of its System Folder over, to see if this works better than the current System installation. Is there reason to hope this might work, or is it likely there's some other more fundamental issue?
Windozed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Windozed »

Hi midwich,

What kind of Mac is your working GB-Stat program installed on, and under which version of which operating system does it run?
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Windozed wrote:Hi midwich,

What kind of Mac is your working GB-Stat program installed on, and under which version of which operating system does it run?
It's running on an old Mac Mini (PowerPC G4 1.42GHz), main OS is OS X 10.4.10; and GB-Stat runs fine in Classic OS 9 on the comp. When I get the time I'm thinking of running Classic Disk Copy on (most of) the Classic Folder to make an image, and e-mail to the Sheepshaver Classic OS in Fusion's Windows XP (good grief!). I can then tell the Sheepshaver setup to restart with the copied OS, hopefully. With GB-Stat, I'd like to know why this shouldn't work? On the other hand, I'd like to know why it doesnt' work already...
Windozed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Windozed »

Thanks, that's a little clearer, conceptually. I know next to nothing about Macs specifically but it sounds to me like the GB-Stat program is actually running under some version of Mac OSX in some form of 'compatability mode' on hardware that is probably about the right 'vintage' for the program.
Windozed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Windozed »

For recommendations, here's my two cents worth.

I'm assuming that you do not have an installation disk for the program.

It sounds to me as if the program has some sort of charting/graphing capability. I'd check the QuickDraw extensions in Sheepshaver, and replace any 1.6 versions with the 1.5.4 versions available at the Macintosh Garden website, then try running the program again.

Secondly, if this program is absolutely vital to you, then I'd make a backup of the existing (hardware) machine on which it runs, then install OS 9.0.4 on the hardware machine, then install the GB-Stat program. If it runs on the hardware machine under actual OS 9.0.4, then you can try copying it over to Sheepshaver again.
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Windozed wrote:For recommendations, here's my two cents worth.

I'm assuming that you do not have an installation disk for the program.

It sounds to me as if the program has some sort of charting/graphing capability. I'd check the QuickDraw extensions in Sheepshaver, and replace any 1.6 versions with the 1.5.4 versions available at the Macintosh Garden website, then try running the program again.

Very interesting indeed, thanks for the tip. It does indeed have charting capabilities, and whines about it on startup (just before crashing everything in Sheepshaver). I'll check out what you say, and report back in the next day or so. I WILL be back, that's a promise :)

EDIT: just checked QuickDraw extensions in the working copy on the Mac Mini, and they are 1.6 actually, drat. Having said that, I'm about 80 percent of the way towards e-mailing the entire System folder over, at 300MB possibly the biggest e-mail ever? Lucky it's to my own mailserver :) I do hope you're right though broadly speaking, that it's a System thing, in which case copying the OK version over should work.
Windozed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Windozed »

The important thing is to never give up!
midwich
Student Driver

Post by midwich »

Windozed wrote:The important thing is to never give up!
Heh. The 300MB e-mail funked out at the end, quelle suprise! Trying again with just a portion of the System folder this time.

Of course, if I could get hold of the Windows version of GB-Stat, that would be even better. But I can't :(
Windozed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Windozed »

One further thought.

You might try changing the Quickdraw extensions on the hardware Mac itself, just to see if the program really needs the 1.6 version.

Caveat emptor.