Audio not working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

gwsmithgw
Student Driver

Audio not working

Post by gwsmithgw »

I just installed SheepShaver for the very first time and was astounded at how smooth this worked. Nice job! This is really cool. Now, to the problem.

I have a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I did a clean install of Mac OS 8.5, using a ROM extracted from the Apple ROM update. My OS 9 games seem to work fine, with good graphics and speed is good. But I have no audio. If I try to adjust the audio volume on the shortcuts bar at the bottom of the screen, the slider will move, but will not stick and always resets back to the lowest setting. Is there something different I need to specify under the SheepShaver Audio/Visual prefs? I used the setting in your install manual-
The Disable Audio Output is not checked
Output Device = /dev/dsp
Mixer Device = /dev/mixer

Thanks for any help.
gwsmithgw
Student Driver

Audio not working- more info

Post by gwsmithgw »

I meant to post this question under the topic at the top of the forum. I installed the SheepShaver release 10-25-09 intended for compatibility with Intel Macs and Snow Leopard.
gwsmithgw
Student Driver

Additional info on audio problem

Post by gwsmithgw »

The clean install of OS 8.5 apparently did not install a Sound Control Panel. That might be the problem, but how can I add that to my system? I tried updating to OS 8.6, but that update from Apple requires a boot from CD. So does the OS 8.5.1 update. Anyone know how to install OS updates?

Thanks
24bit
Forum All-Star

Control panel is hidden

Post by 24bit »

I do not know OSX, but in both OS8.5 and 8.6 the control panel
you are looking for, is "hidden" in the Apple Extras folder.
The sound-output must be set to "built in".
When you are lucky, it will work than.:-)
(As for me it doesn't, cause I'm using Linux and a GF8100 chipset)
I dont see the point in the update problem.
The OS6 update was published in summer 99 on various platforms
e.g MacWorld an I did never encountered a problem updating an installed
8.5 to 8.6.

I hope you will get your game sound!
gwsmithgw
Student Driver

Problem solved- thanks, 24bit

Post by gwsmithgw »

It's been a while since I ever did an install of such an old system, so did not realize that the Sound Control Panel was installed elsewhere.

However, I'm still curious as to how to do an upgrade (if I choose to) to something like OS 8.5.1 or OS 8.6, since they require the machine to be booted from the CD. Is there any way to do this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

To update from 8.5 to 8.5.1 or 8.6, you do not need to boot from a CD. The updates are distributed als .smi (self mounting image) archives that can be mounted in MacOS by double clicking. You can run the installer from the mounted image while booted from the system that is being updated.