Holy Crapo!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jlowe64
Student Driver

Holy Crapo!

Post by jlowe64 »

Really Ive been reading the site for a long while now. And Ive seen coutless times people say its impossible, buy a Mac and be done with it. Well Its happened, slow and painful, but it happened. Lets hope Mac dont get wind of this and want to shut it down. Anywho, this annoucment made we register so consider yourselves honored.
Holy Crap!

Post by Guest »

Which rom do I need to use this emu, please?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

A PCI-based, "old world" PPC Macintosh.

Use Rom-grabber from the Mac-On-Linux downloads page.

Boot up the Mac with extensions and virtual memory off.
HDC

Post by HDC »

A PCI-based, "old world" PPC Macintosh.
Seems that not all PCI PM ROMs will work. Sadly for me, one from my 9500 isn't supported.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Would a 7500/100 PowerMac work? I have a 3 MB ROM image I extracted from that several years ago... anticipating the day this would happen.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The ROM from the 7500 might, but the ROM image must be 4 MB or SheepShaver will report an error with the size. :cry: When I extracted the ROM from my PowerBook 3400c using GetROM, I had a 3 MB ROM image. So I tried "ROM Grabber" (with extentions off) from the Mac-On-Linux downloads page and got a 4 MB image. SheepShaver will report if the ROM is incompatable if\when you manage to get to that point. As this project is in it's infancy, a list of working and non-working ROM images might be benificial to Gwenole.

http://cs.alfred.edu/~maurojc/papers/powerpc.html
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Alright, I'll reassemble my PowerMac(currently sitting in closet), and try the extractor on the MoL page(where is this exactly?). Then I'll try both ROM dumps and see if either work.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Wow...this is quite big news...the first time someone has ever gotten Mac OS to boot on an IA32 machine...

Hats off to Gwenole for all his hard work. Keep it up, I'd love to be able to run Mac OS X someday on my PC...

Post by Guest »

phirkel wrote:"No matter how hard you try, you will fail at something that is impossible."
- Me, on the topic of PowerMacintosh Emulation
Think you'll fix your sig now?
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Yeah, I will...but, only when I get Unlazy enough ;)

Post by Guest »

phirkel wrote:Wow...this is quite big news...the first time someone has ever gotten Mac OS to boot on an IA32 machine...
Don't you mean "...ever gotten Mac OS written for PPC-based Macs to boot..."? ;)
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

That too... I wasn't quite thinking straight when I posted.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Ok, I reassembled my 7500 PowerMac, disabled Virtual Memory, booted without extentions and extracted a 4 MB ROM image. Getting it off the Mac proved to be easier said then done. My USB Zip drive on my Windows machine died, so it ruled out bringing it over on a Zip disk, the Mac wouldn't access the network, and DropStuff that I had on there wouldn't split the file into floppy sized pieces.

So finally, I find that I had a copy of "ZipIt" which is a shareware Mac Zip tool and was able to transfer the image with 2 floppies compressed. When I tried to extract it under Windows it gave me a corrupt error because ZipIt isn't 100% ZipLib compatable. In order to get it extracted I had to download a version of ZipIt, stick it into BasiliskII, boot my emulated 8.1 68k, and extract it!

Hopefully SheepShaver is compatable with the image, I compiled it and I will need to test it on my Linux box. I will do so tommorow, see if I get the "happy mac" or the floppy with the "?" on it.
Thyth

It worked!

Post by Thyth »

Well, I got the ROM onto my Linux box and tried to use SheepShaver to load it. First it displayed a series of vertical black and white lines, then it turned grey. After a semi-lengthy pause I got the flashing "?" on the disk picture and was able to move the emulated mouse around. I'll my 8.1 system from my Basilisk II HFV and see if I can run the graphing calculator. I'll have to do this under VMware though, since my Linux box has less then 100 MB of space left.

In case someone is keeping track of compatible ROMs, you can add PowerMac 7500 to it.
kvd

stuff

Post by kvd »

If you call me at home, I will give you head. But only the ladies. Except if I am a woman, in which case I will give head only to the men.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

That is so illegal... this board can get in a lot of trouble for people posting things like that.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

kvd you flaming assfucker.

I hate you little pirating faggots...no consideration for those of us who DEVELOP the stuff you pirate, costing us money, jobs, etc.

Fuck off.

Clockwise, please ban that wanker.
kvd

ya?

Post by kvd »

I'm not the one posting the rom on the web...

If anyone wants to find it, they can find it; I just made it easier. I thought I was helping the people who were having problems copying the image from their Mac.

And the whole bit about the blow job is real mature.

And I do own a Mac - Homophobes
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

That justifies nothing. It is illegal to use a ROM image you don't own the chip for. The chance that the ROM link you posted and the one you would extract being the same is very small.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I don't want to make any kinda moral judgement, but really... I don't wanna get into legal/hosting problems.
kvd

sorry

Post by kvd »

ok, well sorry. just didn't understand the issues correctly, or the implications of the post.

:(
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Post by robotintestines »

Do we have some kind of list of compatible roms? I own a 266mhz Beige G3 (rev A). Will its rom work if I pull it?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

No, it won't work.

Rob Snyder is compiling a list over here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/stoncold ... ?msg=129.1

"Old World" Macs are what work..