Changes under Mountain Lion

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

temperedreason
Student Driver

Changes under Mountain Lion

Post by temperedreason »

I'm currently running the Developer Preview 4 of Mountain Lion pre-release software, and I've noticed that something about the new OS has changed the way Sheepshaver reads from the Mac's DVD-rom drive. Now whenever I launch Sheepshaver, it cannot read from my drive, and asks to initialize whatever DVD or CD I have in there. Of course, you can't initialize a read-only disk, so it quickly ejects it and moves on to booting. Re-inserting the disk post-boot does not seem to be recognized by Sheepshaver.

I hope its nothing major :cry:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Changes under Mountain Lion

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Indeed, a CD needs to be mounted in OSX before SheepShaver is launched.

SheepShaver will not read DVDs and will read only regular data CD-ROMs, no other CD formats. However, when I try a DVD or audio CD (formats SheepShaver does not read) in OSX 10.7 (Lion), I do not get a dialog asking to initialize the disk, it is simply not mounted in MacOS.

Do the CDs you try work as expected with SheepShaver in 10.7 (Lion)?
temperedreason
Student Driver

Post by temperedreason »

It does appear that the change is software-related. These are CDs I've attempted. I erroneously used "DVD" to describe the drive in my iMac, not realizing I wouldn't even bother with a DVD in Classic anyhow. Sheepshaver does not seem to recognize any CD in the drive anymore. I'm afraid to attempt a fresh install since building a new disk image would require the use of the CD to install a fresh copy of Mac OS 9.
temperedreason
Student Driver

Post by temperedreason »

As I suspected, this isn't some sort of glitch. I attempted to build a new disk image. Sheepshaver no longer recognizes the Mac OS 9 disk in the drive, and ejects it immediately. I am then greeted by a flashing "?" disk in the center of the screen. The problem was replicated upon restart.

Unless this can be resolved, there will be a lot of folks who will have to make a choice next month between Classic OS 9 and Mountain Lion. 8O
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

In the meantime, you could try to create a disk image from your CD with diskutility and add that to the volumes list in SheepShaver. Please don't forget to set the image to read-only if it is an image of an install cd.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Or you can do what I do, and run the Windows version... although I haven't checked if SDL and DarWINE/WineSkin are properly emulating the CD under Mountain Lion yet.