Trying to get old OS9 games safely into Sheepshaver on Win8

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Yakkers
Space Cadet

Trying to get old OS9 games safely into Sheepshaver on Win8

Post by Yakkers »

So I've got Sheepshaver running in Windows 8 and I'm trying to get my old CD-RW of Mac OS9 games I grew up with safely into Sheepshaver without them just turning into unreadable files. If I just copy over the games directly from the CD and go to that directory from Sheepshaver all of the icons are gone and the games themselves are just "documents," and they give the "could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found" error. I don't know much about how different operating systems handle files but I feel like having them go through Windows is corrupting them in some form.

Things I've tried include having a friend with OSX copy the games into various containers like .zip, or .img, so Windows can't touch them during the transition, but none of them have been able to be opened by Stuffit and I don't really know anything else OS9 compatible I could use to try opening them. I feel like that should work if we can find a usable container, because OSX still keeps the icons and marks the games as non-compatible pre-OSX applications with the little cross over it. Also Sheepshaver doesn't seem to be able to directly read the CD and it just tells me it's unreadable and prompts me to reformat it, so that's also out of the question. Perhaps copying everything over to a regular non-rewritable CD-ROM on OSX would do the trick?

I'm really at a loss here, so I thought I'd ask around here. Is this a common problem? It seems like most people here are running Sheepshaver on OSX and just don't have to worry about this problem.
Thanks in advance!
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Trying to get old OS9 games safely into Sheepshaver on W

Post by Jorpho »

Yes, filesystem incompatibilities have been a recurring problem for decades.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, Sheepshaver cannot access CD-ROMs directly in 64-bit versions of Windows, since the relevant driver (cdenable.sys) is 32-bit - and likewise for HFV Explorer. The optimal solution is to create an image of the CD (namely, a BIN/CUE or ISO), and mount the image of the CD in Sheepshaver (that is, in the Sheepshaver preferences). Various tools should be capable of creating the image; I would use IsoBuster.
Things I've tried include having a friend with OSX copy the games into various containers like .zip, or .img, so Windows can't touch them during the transition, but none of them have been able to be opened by Stuffit and I don't really know anything else OS9 compatible I could use to try opening them.
I don't know how these .img files are being created, but if they're disk images compatible with OS9, you should be able to mount that in the Sheepshaver preferences as a disk.

.zip files created in OSX can work, but you'll need the utility mentioned in http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8322 . (Be sure to use the updated version in the last post.)

If your friend with OSX can use MacBinary or HQX encoding on the individual files, then the classic Stuffit Expander should be able to manage that without any problems.