New VirtualBox Mountain Lion SheepShaver MacOS 9 Tutorial

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

New VirtualBox Mountain Lion SheepShaver MacOS 9 Tutorial

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Dear friends,

As an expression of my gratitude and appreciation for the extensive help I have received from the members of this forum since earlier this year, and to pay back the Emaculation community by giving something in return, and to help pass along to others some of the knowledge I have gained here regarding SheepShaver installation, troubleshooting and usage, as well as network parameters, virtual machines, etc., I have just spent the past two days creating an in-depth online setup guide and tutorial which covers many of the aspects of setting up a VirtualBox/Mountain Lion/SheepShaver/Classic Mac environment under OS X El Capitan.

Some of you here will no doubt recogize some of the things I share in the tutorial as coming from yourselves. Never fear. I have given brief mention and credit where credit is due. In fact, I have advertised an emaculation.com website URL for this very forum on my Armageddon BBS website since April of this current year.

While I realize that all of you here lead busy lives, I would very much appreciate if you would take the time to read the tutorial through, and make any constructive comments, as you deem appropriate. Please bear in mind that this tutorial -- which is likewise hosted on the Armageddon BBS website -- is in its first version. As such, with time, I may polish it up and add new bits of information to it, as my time and health permit. I have strived to make everything as simple and as clear as possible. Nevertheless, it is possible that due to my limited knowledge, I may have gotten some of the information wrong. If that is the case, and you become aware of it, please let me know so that I can correct it. Disseminating correct information is very important to me.

Right now, this setup guide covers the following topics to varying degrees:

a. How to install VirtualBox.
b. How to create your Mountain Lion virtual machine.
c. How to create a bootable Mountain Lion install DVD.
d. How to install Mountain Lion in VirtualBox.
e. How to create shared network folders.
f. How to use shared network folders.
g. How to install the TunTap kernel extensions.
h. How to copy or move SheepShaver into Mountain Lion.
i. How to set up VirtualBox's "Network" tab.
j. How to set up your Wi-Fi router's "Network" tab.
k. How to set up Mountain Lion's "Network" prefs.
l. How to create and use SheepShaver startup shell script.
m. How to set up Mac Classic's TCP/IP control panel.
n. A Terminal command which may save your sanity.
o. Other useful tips, helpful apps and troubleshooting.

You can access the tutorial at the following URL:

http://www.armageddonbbs.com/VirtualBox ... Guide.html

Thanks a lot!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Re: New VirtualBox Mountain Lion SheepShaver MacOS 9 Tutoria

Hey! Wow! With my 100th post, I see that I just acquired the status of "Granny Smith". I don't know exactly what that means in Emaculation.com jargon, but it just so happens that I L-O-V-E eating Granny Smith apples, which actually originated in Australia. They are hard, crunchy, juicy, sweet, a bit tangy and long-lasting in the refrigerator. So sure! I'll be a Granny Smith for ya! :mrgreen:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for writing that up :)

I've got my first tweak suggestion:
Thus, if your SheepShaver hard disk image file -- which probably contains Mac OS 8.6 or OS 9.0.4 -- is, say, 100 GB in size, then obviously, you will want to make your Mountain Lion virtual hard disk at least that same size, and perhaps bigger, depending on your future intentions. So think carefully about this step.
As you'll need some disk space for the Mountain Lion installation itself, a good recommendation is to make the image 16GB + whatever size you want for your OS 9 virtual disk. A minimum of 20GB is recommended.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

You are right.

That is pretty much what I meant when I wrote "at least that same size, and perhaps bigger", but I should also have clarified that I meant in addition to the space you will need for Mountain Lion itself. So, yes, I am going to edit that right now. In the meantime, maybe you can ease my nerves by answering my questions in my other thread, and offer a little more specific help with this MultiBeast issue.

And if you have any other suggestions regarding the tutorial, I am listening. Clarity and accuracy are important to me.

Thanks!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Okay, I just changed that section to this:

13. In the "File location and size" window which next appears, you must choose a name for your new virtual hard disk file, as well as its size in megabytes. Again, these are both at your discretion. However, this tutorial centers on moving or copying your full SheepShaver setup into your Mountain Lion virtual machine. Thus, if your SheepShaver hard disk image file -- which probably contains Mac OS 8.6 or OS 9.0.4 -- is, say, 100 GB in size, then obviously, you will want to make your Mountain Lion virtual hard disk at least that same size, and perhaps bigger, depending on your future intentions. Please note, however, that this is IN ADDITION TO the space you will need for the Mountain Lion installation itself. Oracle recommends 20 GB for this purpose. Thus, in my case, because my SheepShaver hard disk image file is 130 GB in size, I created a 150 GB virtual hard disk for my Mountain Lion VM. So think carefully about this step, because you don't want to cut yourself short.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The telnet BBS guide link at the bottom of your page is broken. Don't ask me how I spotted that.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Oh gosh! I wonder how long that has been like that. :cry:

It was like that on thirteen pages in the site, and was because I was probably half asleep and put "http://www.http://www" in the link.

When you duplicate chunks of HTML code -- like an entire table of links -- and duplicate it on many pages, that's what happens.

Thanks for your sharp eye. It has now been fixed everywhere.

Oh . . . and I won't ask you how you spotted that. :mrgreen:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Hi,

First of all, I think it's great that Old-School-BBSer has taken the time to document this setup procedure.

I'd just like to point out that this setup should work using OS X 10.7.5 Lion as the VM's guest OS, since, as I wrote here, ethernet bridging is available in 10.7.5 (maybe not in earlier versions of 10.7). My own experience was that SheepShaver ran much faster in Lion than in Mountain Lion. In fact, I think performance was worst in Mountain Lion compared to all other versions of OS X since perhaps Snow Leopard.

I wrote this post a few years ago regarding the performance of some games in SheepShaver. Since then, I have gained a lot more experience running SheepShaver and Basilisk II in various versions of OS X (natively and virtualized), and I have concluded that there's simply something about Lion itself that results in good performance in SheepShaver, not the graphics drivers of the virtual machine software as I previously suspected. I think that the performance of all applications run in SheepShaver might be best in Lion, but of course this is most noticeable in games.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

NucAr wrote:Hi, First of all, I think it's great that Old-School-BBSer has taken the time to document this setup procedure.
Thank you kindly. :smile:
I'd just like to point out that this setup should work using OS X 10.7.5 Lion as the VM's guest OS . . .
Thanks for the tip. Being as there are now two conflicting points of view in these threads regarding minimum system requirements necessary to run this kind of convoluted setup, while I have added this new bit of info to the tutorial, I also note in the tutorial that I personally have not tested my setup with Lion 10.7.5.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Dear friends,

I am happy to announce that I have just completed section XIX of the new tutorial. It is entitled "A BIGGER BETTER SHEEPSHAVER & MOUNTAIN LION DESKTOP".

As some of you will already know, this section revolves around the installation of MultiBeast, and all related settings and parameters.

While I believe that I have properly grasped the basics of this approach -- the proof being that I myself now have a bigger, better desktop -- I would still appreciate if some of our expert gurus here would read over this section of the tutorial, and verify that the procedures and explanations that I offer are accurate.

Yes, I am sure that some of you will find the setup guide rather simplistic in its terminology. However, that is precisely the point. It is written by a Dummie, for Dummies -- just like me -- who just want easy-to-follow, straightforward, lead-me-by-the-hand steps to get it done. I hope that I have accomplished that with this tutorial. If folks want deeper, more complicated explanations regarding the whys and the wherefores, there is always the web. That is what I constantly do myself. :)

Thanks in advance!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Okay, rather than continue to struggle trying to find these things in PopChar -- dished out a lot of money for something I don't use a lot -- I am just going to cheat and ask here.

In the tips and tricks section of the tutorial, I need to be able to type some of Apple's proprietary key symbols; namely the shift key symbol, the option key symbol, and the command key symbol.

PopChar apparently wants me to work hard to find them, but I have been up all night, and it is now 5:05 AM here, so how about it, folks?

Is there an easy way to type these keys' symbols in a BBEdit text file, as well as in an HTML document using UTF-8?

Thanks!

OOPS! PLEASE DISREGARD THIS MESSAGE!

Thank you Rich Siegel of BBEdit fame. I very quickly found ALL three symbols under Edit/Emoji & Symbols.

Man, PopChar! Major fail for $40.00! :(
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key

:)

Wikipedia provides the UTF-8 codse as well as the actual symbols, so you can copy/paste.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Thanks my friend. I knew that I could find them online. However, as I wrote to the PopChar folks a few hours ago, having to go online to find the information defeats the purpose of paying $30.00 for PopChar. I am still waiting to hear from them.

I am sure that the symbols can be found in PopChar, but it was just taking me too long to find them.

Also, as you probably already know, in BBEdit, you can bring up a palette, and then just click once to paste a symbol into your BBEdit document, similar to PopChar.

As far as the codes for HTML documents are concerned, whenever I create a new HTML document, I run it through Baltisar Tidy for Work, which does an excellent job of automatically correcting things, converting those characters that need to be converted, and nicely formatting the document for my human eyes which demand pretty indentation as well. :)

Rich Siegel actually ripped Tidy support out of BBEdit quite some time ago. I was not pleased with that decision, but oh well. Baltisar Tidy for Work uses more up-to-date code anyway, and you can add your own rule exceptions to it as well, so it won't spit out errors regarding things that it does not yet recognize as valid HTML code.
Last edited by Old-School-BBSer on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I stopped using PopChar... what; around Mac OS 8, when Apple introduced their own character picker. Is there anything that it does these days that can't be done from the character palette or Google?
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

I don't know, because I haven't used the built-in character palette in a very long time. In fact, it is so long, that off the top of my head, I don't even remember how to access it. :)

Regarding PopChar, as I said, for the $30 that I paid for it, I don't really use it all that often.

One interesting feature it has which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, is the ability to use your mouse to draw a symbol -- when you don't know where to find it -- and then let PopChar conduct a search, and present to you the closest matches to what you drew in the box.

As I said, it is not a home run every time.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Well, Ergonis Software -- the developers of PopChar -- wrote back to me with a very clear answer regarding how to find and copy keyboard modifier key symbols to a text document, such as to BBEdit, for example. Although, as I already said, I discovered earlier today that BBEdit already offers that functionality with the "Emoji & Symbols" option under the "Edit" menu.

Here is the link that Erognic gave me, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ergonis.com/products/popchar ... -keys.html

I think it would be great if they could incorporate that as a clickable chart right into PopChar, as is, made easily accessible by a button somewhere in the PopChar on-screen window.
Last edited by Old-School-BBSer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

One more thing that I think should be pointed out: You shouldn't have to burn a physical DVD to install the guest OS X in the VM. Using the disc image itself should work. I can just picture a newbie who has, say, a brand new MacBook Pro thinking, "Darn it! I need to get a disc drive!"
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

NucAr wrote:One more thing that I think should be pointed out: You shouldn't have to burn a physical DVD to install the guest OS X in the VM. Using the disc image itself should work. I can just picture a newbie who has, say, a brand new MacBook Pro thinking, "Darn it! I need to get a disc drive!"
Well, maybe not, but as some of us have discovered, VirtualBox has its share of deficiencies when it comes to its incompatibilities with Mac OS X, and that is apparently one of them. From what I have read online, others have run into the very same issue, and discovered that in some cases, a disk image will not suffice.

In fact, just today, I was reading online where users of other OSes, and other virtualizers, have run into similar issues.

Apple, however, apparently thinks just like you, and that is one reason why newer Macs don't have disk drives. It is also apparently why at the very last minute, Apple removed the ability to easily make an installer DVD for El Capitan. Thankfully, some folks have figured it out anyway, and posted their solutions online.

For me personally, this new cloud-everything approach is for the birds. It tramples on personal privacy and security . . . but it sure saves big tech companies a lot of money; and for them -- including Apple -- that is what it is all about.

The minute they took away physical manuals for our software, and moved to downloads-only for software, I knew that we were d00med!!! :mrgreen:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
thecloud
Student Driver

Post by thecloud »

Old-School-BBSer wrote:
NucAr wrote:One more thing that I think should be pointed out: You shouldn't have to burn a physical DVD to install the guest OS X in the VM. Using the disc image itself should work. I can just picture a newbie who has, say, a brand new MacBook Pro thinking, "Darn it! I need to get a disc drive!"
Well, maybe not, but as some of us have discovered, VirtualBox has its share of deficiencies when it comes to its incompatibilities with Mac OS X, and that is apparently one of them. From what I have read online, others have run into the very same issue, and discovered that in some cases, a disk image will not suffice.
While VirtualBox may be unable to mount a disk image in Apple's DMG format, I'm fairly sure it can use a standard ISO disk image, which should be identical to a burned DVD. Have you tried converting the DMG to an ISO file?

(To convert a DMG to ISO, open the .dmg file in Disk Utility, then Convert it to "DVD/CD master" format. The new image will be saved with a .cdr suffix, so you'll need to rename it to have a .iso suffix after the converted file has been saved.)

Caveat: haven't yet tried to see whether this works with 'InstallESD.dmg', but I offer it as a suggestion since it has worked well for me when installing other OSes into VirtualBox.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

TheCloud, I have not personally tried doing that myself. However, I seem to recall having heard/read that before.

While my tutorial is based on my personal experiences, and what I know for a fact will work, I will add this possibility to the setup guide, when my time permits. I may even get around to trying it out myself, so that I can confirm one way or the other.

I do agree that in light of the direction that Apple has been taking with trying to turn DVD drives/superdrives into "dinosaurs" of the past -- not that I agree with the move -- it does seem archaic to expect someone to have a DVD drive in their machine, in order to meet with success, as per the instructions that are found in my tutorial.

BTW, the tutorial received a substantial update just yesterday, and is quite comprehensive. I hope others find it helpful and useful as they go about setting up SheepShaver -- or Basilisk II -- on their modern machines.
Last edited by Old-School-BBSer on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Not sure whether you were joking, but that user's name is thecloud. Space Cadet is his rank on the forum.

More nitpicking on your guide:

I see there are a lot of terms such as "Wi-Fi router," "Wi-Fi network," and "Wi-Fi/LAN IP address." I think these terms should simply be "router," "network" (or "LAN"), and "private IP address." It is important to point out to beginners that the emulator's networking will not* work over a Wi-Fi connection, since SheepShaver and Basilisk II require Ethernet frames. This is why VirtualBox's network adapter must be bridged to the host's Ethernet interface.

*In order to use a wireless connection, you would need a bridge-mode OpenVPN server, or some other layer-2 VPN or tunneling program that can handle Ethernet frames. Then you would bridge VirtualBox's network adapter to the VPN's TAP interface.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

I had no idea getting OS X running on an Intel machine had become so easy. What happened to Apple putting in extra BIOS-related security to keep it from booting, or whatever?

I suppose the OS X port of Sheepshaver is still much superior to the Linux port these days?
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

thecloud wrote:While VirtualBox may be unable to mount a disk image in Apple's DMG format, I'm fairly sure it can use a standard ISO disk image, which should be identical to a burned DVD. Have you tried converting the DMG to an ISO file?

(To convert a DMG to ISO, open the .dmg file in Disk Utility, then Convert it to "DVD/CD master" format. The new image will be saved with a .cdr suffix, so you'll need to rename it to have a .iso suffix after the converted file has been saved.)

Caveat: haven't yet tried to see whether this works with 'InstallESD.dmg', but I offer it as a suggestion since it has worked well for me when installing other OSes into VirtualBox.
TheCloud, it is the wee hours of the morning here, and I have been trying a few different methods, including your idea to use Disk Utility to convert the "InstallESD.dmg" image to an ISO image by converting it to the "DVD/CD master" format, and then changing the file extension from ".cdr" to ".iso".

Sorry to say, but it did not work.

While you can add the created ISO image as the virtual optical drive for the VM that you are working on in the "Settings/Storage" section, when it comes time to actually use the ISO to install OS X Mountain Lion, VirtualBox simply brings up the standard terminal window, and drops you into shell mode. I tried several times, and got the same results.

But all is NOT lost. I in fact used a more complicated method to create a proper ISO image from the "InstallESD.dmg" image file, by using the "hdiutil" tool in the Terminal.

This ISO image does work. I just now partitioned the new test VM's virtual hard drive, and I am currently using the newly-created ISO to install Mountain Lion on it.

It is looking very good.

As soon as I finish this, I will also be adding a brand new section to my tutorial, in which I explain step-by-step, how to create the right kind of ISO which will be acceptable to VirtualBox.

Stay tuned. It takes time to write this stuff. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
thecloud
Student Driver

Post by thecloud »

Old-School-BBSer wrote:As soon as I finish this, I will also be adding a brand new section to my tutorial, in which I explain step-by-step, how to create the right kind of ISO which will be acceptable to VirtualBox.
Thanks for all your hard work and verbose documentation; very good to know that it's possible to install Mountain Lion from an ISO image in VirtualBox. I had first thought the underlying problem was that the converted image wasn't being "blessed" (i.e. marked as bootable), but it seems that it's a bit more complicated after all.

Found another online reference for converting InstallESD.dmg to a bootable ISO image at http://www.technobuzz.net/create-bootab ... tep-guide/. Note that this article refers to Mavericks (10.9), so no idea if it also works for Mountain Lion (10.8).
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

thecloud wrote:Thanks for all your hard work and verbose documentation; very good to know that it's possible to install Mountain Lion from an ISO image in VirtualBox. I had first thought the underlying problem was that the converted image wasn't being "blessed" (i.e. marked as bootable), but it seems that it's a bit more complicated after all.
"Verbose" is my middle name. I am a writer, after all.

I have long believed in the step-by-step guides and tutorials for Dummies approach.

One of my personal beefs with programmers and app developers -- which I have griped about for many years -- is that their heads are so far up in the coding clouds, that even when they THINK that they are speaking normally, and explaining something normally, most people still fail to understand them. They've been immersed in that coding environment for so long, that what seems readily apparent to them, is by no means apparent to the common little guy computer user.

That is why when I write tutorials like this, I go to the extreme in details and simplicity, and I am very verbose. I want to make certain that Mr. Greenhorn fully understands what is being stated and explained, and that no questions -- or at least very few -- remain. Thus, in my tutorials, I take folks by the hand, and lead them along the way.

I appreciate it when others do it for me -- such as some of the kind folks here -- and so I try to do the same for others as well.
Last edited by Old-School-BBSer on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS