Maximum Screen Resolution

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jeffsrule
Space Cadet

Maximum Screen Resolution

Post by jeffsrule »

I can't get Maximum graphics resolution to work correctly in Sheepshaver. I'm running Sheepshaver 44 SDL on Ubuntu.

Here is what I'm trying to do. In Ubuntu I rotate the screen to the left, so the monitor is now in Portrait mode, taller than it is wide. The resolution is 1920x1200. I've also tried this at lower screen resolutions and the same thing happens.

Then I launch Sheepshaver, and click on the Graphics/Sound tab. I set the Video Type to Window and the Height and Width to maximum and then Start.
For a moment it works correctly, then it snaps back to a horizontal screen (ignoring the rotation). The weird thing is that this doesn't happen in Basilisk II.

Any ideas on how to get a full screen portrait view or even a larger Window view?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Maximum Screen Resolution

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You may need to adjust the screen resolution in Monitors control panel in MacOS to match the screen resolution you set in SheepShaver.
jeffsrule
Space Cadet

Post by jeffsrule »

Thanks. I'm working in Ubuntu. The resolution in Sheepshaver are things like 576 pixels, which don't have a match in Ubuntu or Mac OSX. I'd really like to get "maxiumum" to work correctly and go full screen.

Is there a way to introduce alternative screen resolutions to the drop down on the Graphics/Sound tab? Is there a file I can edit?

Many thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you set a screen resolution for SheepShaver, that resolution will be added to the available choices in the control panel in MacOS.

I do not know if full-screen at "maximum" resolution works in Ubuntu, the corresponding line in the prefs file should read:

Code: Select all

screen dga/0/0
jeffsrule
Space Cadet

Post by jeffsrule »

Thanks, I was missing a key assumption. I didn't know you could hand enter any resolution you wanted into the dialog boxes. I assumed you had to set them in a prefs file somewhere. That solves my problem for windowed view. Getting a black screen when I go fullscreen in portrait view (1024 height, 768 width) or (maximum height, 768 width) in either Sheepshaver or Basilisk II. Here it is working in the Apple Prototype computer I've recreated.

http://www.applemake.com/wp-content/upl ... Pomona.jpg
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Your design looks neat -- reminiscent of the TAM.