Sheepshaver Ethernet Troubles (LAN)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

lj6014
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver Ethernet Troubles (LAN)

Post by lj6014 »

Hello,
I have been trying to get ethernet to work on Sheepshaver for some time now so I could play Marathon and Minotaur over our local network with friends and family, but to my frustration it has not worked yet. I would prefer not to use apple talk to avoid being dependent on IPNetRouterX and have to spend $100, I have tried everything looking through every forum post about Ethernet & AppleTalk and nothing seems to work. Whenever I try to join a game I get no signs of other players, I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8 on both computers and Sheepshaver 2.4 emulating Mac OS 9.0, Please Help!!!
josemedeiros007
Space Cadet

Re: Sheepshaver Ethernet Troubles (LAN)

Post by josemedeiros007 »

I am no expert, but others have mention that networking doesn't work on a 64 bit OS, and that you should run Sheepshaver an older 32 bit edition, at least on Windows. This is one area that really needs to be improved in future versions of Sheepshaver, as well as the latest release causes a Kernel mode dump, the older Sheepshaver is much more stable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Use an evaluation copy of IPNetRouterX. Have you tried the setup in our AppleTalk guide?

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver

(SheepShaver for OSX can be set by the user to run in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. In OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), the setup should work in 64-bit also. The 32-bit limitation that josemedeiros007 refers to is an issue with Windows drivers.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

The AppleTalk guide that Ronald linked is missing a step because I caused it to get screwed up. It needs to be updated. Also, while setting up AppleShare as in the guide is useful for testing the AppleTalk connection, it will interfere with AppleTalk games in Mac OS 9 (and at least some versions of Mac OS 8). Turn off file sharing before running a game.

See my "confession" here on how to use IPNetRouterX properly:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 624#p50355

In Snow Leopard, we are dependent on IPNetRouterX, unless somebody can implement Ethernet bridging in Snow Leopard some other way.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Snow Leopard Appletalk guide is fixed.

Best,
Cat_7
lj6014
Space Cadet

Post by lj6014 »

I've tried the guide but when I go into IPNetRouter X it didn't show any tap0 devices, what am I doing wrong?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

1.Did you adjust the .sheepshaver_prefs file as suggested in the guide?
Can you copy the content of the file in your answer?

2.Did you start the second terminal window and use the ifconfig command there?
Which command line did you use?

Only when 1 and 2 are successful you'll see the tap device in IpNetRouterX.

Another question: is your normal network connection wired? All this will not work through wifi ;-)

Best,
Cat_7