Exposing server access from outside Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Schala
Space Cadet

Exposing server access from outside Sheepshaver

Post by Schala »

There's an old, old client-server file sharing program called Carracho that's been abandoned for 11 years despite its site and download links still up and working. The programs are Carbon-built so they run like a charm on Sheepshaver with OS 9.04. However, because I want to code a rewrite compatible with today's machines, I'm trying to use Wireshark on my host system (Windows 10) to packet sniff the activity on it. Carracho uses TCP ports 6700/6701, but I'm not getting any entries from those ports when sniffing.

I then tested Classilla by loading google.com while packet capturing. Sure enough, Wireshark picks that up under my LAN address. I'm sure now that my problem is that the Carracho server I'm running isn't actually online. I've even tried designating the ports to forward on my router with no success.

I tried going to TCP/IP and switching it from DHCP to manual without luck, and finding an OS 9 copy of EtherPeek seems impossible.

I would very much appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Exposing server access from outside Sheepshaver

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I assume you running SheepShaver with slirp networking? If so, the networking possibilities are limited. Slirp provides a SheepShaver-local DHCP server, only allowing a limited set of ports (80/21). I guess you would need to run SheepShaver with the ethernetdriver to get a server running. See the SheepShaver Appletalk guide. The network solution provided there does much more than just provide Appletalk support.

There is, however, one major drawback: there is no 64 bit solution. You might consider running SheepShaver in a Linux VM, or Windows 7 32 bit VM with networking set to promiscuous.

Best,
Cat_7
Schala
Space Cadet

Post by Schala »

Well I dual boot with Arch Linux. However, SheepShaver always fails to compile when it runs a tool called dyngen, citing __stkchk_fail is an unresolved reference. I've sought to resolve this, but apparently stock GCC has no libssp, and -fno-stack-protector doesn't seem to apply to dyngen.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you try our pre-compiled SheepShaver for Linux releases?
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 5420#35420

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I just compiled SheepShaver in latest Arch Linux (through arch-anywhere 64 bit) in Virtual box.
A lot of warnings, but no errors, SheepShaver runs.

Edit: If you want, I can send you the executable.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Schala
Space Cadet

Post by Schala »

Hmm... what Arch Linux packages are needed to compile this, perhaps? I have libxxf86dga and libxxf86vm listed as the only deps.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Carracho was written by a Hotline community member as a response to Hotline 1.5 and the corporate takeover, and all the brouhaha that came out of that. The guys that made it are still around, and I believe the protocol docs are also around somewhere. It didn't last too long as it was replaced by Haxial KDX pretty quickly, which was then replaced itself by Zanka's Wired.

Nowadays, of course, a similar system can all be run via TorBrowser and Tor Chat. You can even run Hotline, Carracho, KDX or Wired as Tor private services.

Hmm; I can't seem to find the community Carracho protocol docs, but they should be around somewhere.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_World ... mentations might be useful if you want to run a historical collection of Internet BBSes :)
Schala
Space Cadet

Post by Schala »

Wired would be good, except it has a bloated protocol from what I've seen.