Installing a game CD from host OS Windows 10

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ncrouch
Space Cadet

Installing a game CD from host OS Windows 10

Post by ncrouch »

I'm trying to install Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from a retail disc to Mac OS 9 from the host OS Windows 10 64bit. Windows 10 shows a blank disc and SheepSaver doesn't read it either. I have an old Pentium 4 desktop with Windows XP 32bit if that would be easier to get the game to read. The closest thing to a Mac I own is a 4th Generation iPod Touch and I do not access to a Mac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Installing a game CD from host OS Windows 10

Post by adespoton »

The easiest way is likely to rip the CD to a disk image and load that into SheepShaver. If you have difficulty doing that, Macintosh Garden has an image of the CD. You'll need to rip the CD with a program that recognizes HFS CD format if you go that route -- Alcohol120% does I believe; not sure about others.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Macintoshgarden also is hosting IMGBurn for Windows.
The version is the last one free of bloatware, just doing the job.
IMGBurn creates excellent ISO images of Mac HFS CDs (same for burning, but thats not the question here).
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/imgburn-250
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

ncrouch wrote:I'm trying to install Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from a retail disc to Mac OS 9 from the host OS Windows 10 64bit. Windows 10 shows a blank disc and SheepSaver doesn't read it either. I have an old Pentium 4 desktop with Windows XP 32bit if that would be easier to get the game to read.
If you like, you should be able to run HFVExplorer on your XP machine. You should be able to use that to copy the game's data (a file appropriately named "Fate of Atlantis Data") off the disc, and then use that file with ScummVM, which runs practically anywhere.

(Normally copying files from a Macintosh volume directly to a PC is asking for trouble, but not in this case.)