Hey i was wondering how to change the memory size??

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Hey i was wondering how to change the memory size??

Post by guest »

I need to know if changing the memory size would make it run a bit smoother and how i would set the cfg file about this...

Post by Guest »

Add this line to your config file:

memory_size=0x10000000

That's for 256mb.
forelle

Post by forelle »

You can't. The source hard coded 128M memory limit. plus 1.5M framebuffer, ie. 800x600x32bpp or 1024x768x16bpp max.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I don't think memory is the real issue with emulation, the processor should be more of an issue.

Mac processors have a huge number of registers compared the PC processors, and so what you are trying to do is pour a gallon into a pint glass. You should see more of a performance gain from a faster processor.

Of course, memory needs to be allocated to OSX, but it's the emulation that is really slowing things down.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

you can change it now with the new v0.1.1
Ice

Post by Ice »

Does anybody knows the number for 512 MB? I'd appreciate it 8O
luckyy
Student Driver

How to calculate ram

Post by luckyy »

It's a hexadecimal number, so use Windows Calculator, in scientific mode... select Dec mode (for decimal):

1024 * 1024 * (how many megs of ram you want)

1024 * 1024 * 512 = 536870912

Now select Hex mode in the calc, and it becomes: 20000000

So you'd put 0x20000000 in your config file.

Hope that helps.

Post by Guest »

Thats a cool!!

Is there a mathmatical formula to convert it to hex?

Brian Weber
luckyy
Student Driver

Post by luckyy »

The easiest way to convert it into a hex number, is to choose "Hex" in the windows calculator (you have to have scientific mode enabled (View|Scientific).

Once you have scientific on, you choose (View|Decimal)... compute your ram amount, using the formula I provided above, once you have your final number, change your View to Hex (View|Hexadecimal). The calculator now displays your computed number in hex format.

Now just add 0x to the front of the number in your config (0x is the prefix for hexadecimal numbers in the C programming lang.) and your done.

Post by Guest »

I know the calculator might be the easiest way, but I was wondering how to covert it mathmatically.

Brian Weber
luckyy
Student Driver

Post by luckyy »

Ahh I see, well in principal, Hexadecimal numbers work in the exact same way as decimal numbers do. Nearly all the same rules apply. The main difference is that there are more symbols. In the case of Hexadecem, Latin for 16, there are 16. The first ten are old faithful 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. The six new ones are A, B, C, D, E, F.

Apart from the difference in the symbols and the different number of them, the Math rules in Hexadecimal, which we will from now on simply call Hex, are the same as the rules in Decimal.In Hexadecimal math, 4+1=5 and 6+3=9 and 9+3=C. As in Decimal math, you add an MSD to the left in Hex when you run out of Symbols, example in Hex: C+5=11 and Hex 11+3C=4D. Although this sounds simple and logical, our brain has trouble with it since we are trained in decimal! A calculator can be handy in cases like this.

The rule for Decimal numbers holds true for Hex numbers for a far as the mathematical representation of the digits that make up a number. In Hex math, the following is true:

D1C5 = D*10^3 + 1*10^2 + C*10^1 + 5*10^0

The main reason for using hexadecimal in place of decimal is that it is shorter to express than decimal numbers. For example, FFFFF is easier to print than the decimal number it represents (1048575).

Hope that helps you understand how hex works vs. decimal... my next suggestion might be to websearch more on the subject :)

Post by Guest »

Thanks!!

Brian Weber
duckie
Granny Smith

Post by duckie »

simple answer...

memory_size=0x20000000
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Thank you guys! Regards David!

Ice
Eric

Can't boot with more memory allocated

Post by Eric »

osx 10.2.3 won't boot if I change the defalt value for memory allocation (which is 128Mb). PearPC gives you the message "Still waiting for root device". When changed back to 128 Mb runs smoosly but too slow. ANY SUGGESTIONS????