How to install 10.3 on PearPC *without* Darwin - tutorial!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Mac only shows mounted volumes on the desktop. Meaning that if there isn't a CD mounted or inserted, it won't be shown.
~Ayman~
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ~Ayman~ »

I try to inserted difrent CDs but nothing showing?

do I need to config the CD drive? the one in ppcconfg.txt? or what? I have my CD Drives (G, and H)

pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "C:\pearpc\hd_image.img"
# pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 0
pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\pearpc\OSX_CD1.iso"
# pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\pearpc\extra_hd_image.img"
# pci_ide0_slave_image = "F:\"

pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"
#pci_ide0_slave_type = "hd"
# pci_ide0_slave_type = "nativecdrom"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you want to use the cd image or real drive, you should first tell PearPC it is installed with:

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1

Best wishes,

Cat_7
~Ayman~
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ~Ayman~ »

something odd! I delete this line and type it again it will work but only with the MACOSX_CD1.iso? what do you think the problem?

pci_ide0_slave_image = "macosx_cd1.iso"

I'm trying to change the drive to one of me CD drives I have but my ppc it doesn't work until I change it back to
pci_ide0_slave_image = "macosx_cd1.iso" or make the value of pci_ide0_slave_installed to(0)

here is my ppc config:
ppc_start_resolution = "800x600x15"

redraw_interval_msec = 100

key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"

key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"

prom_bootmethod = "auto"

prom_env_machargs = ""

prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"

cpu_pvr = 0x00088302

# 1024 megs RAM
memory_size=0x40000000

pci_ide0_master_image = "hd_image.img"

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 0
pci_ide0_slave_image = ""
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

pci_usb_installed = 1

nvram_file = "nvram"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What you describe as a problem is perfectly normal pearpc-behaviour.
It all depends on which version of pearpc you use.
Up till now the official versions from the pear website only support an .iso file as cd rom drive. This is what you seem to be using.

If you want pearpc supporting your real cd drive you should get a pearpc build with this functionality built into it. Like from richard goodwins website.

Best wishes

Cat_7
~Ayman~
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ~Ayman~ »

thanks alot, as I can see that mean if I wan to see CD drive I need to copy my CD to pearpc folder and make it as for example test.iso so I can see the CD! right :D
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

But after you download a version of PearPC with nativecdrom support, all you have to do is change the drive image to the drive letter and the type to "nativecdrom". The nativcdrom build on Prasys' site (http://prasys.skidsoftware.com/ppcblknight.zip) works great for me.
~Ayman~
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ~Ayman~ »

WOW :lol: I can see I can see. YES now everything working I have my CD drive in the Disktop :D thanks alot guys your are all the best :D. I hope one day I will change my G3 to G4 or higher
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

G5 emulation is a tricky one...x86 is a 32-bit processor, and having to emulate 64bits with a 32-bit processor would slow down emulation, and not that many applications for Mac even use 64-bits. Building a version for x86_64 might be remotely possible but for the time being, it's unneeded. But altivec (G4) is already here, so let's be happy for that.
~Ayman~
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ~Ayman~ »

hi smarty! I have Q. for you, I want to install my mac OS in my laptop, but I want to install it in partition drive (E:\). I did everything as I remamber in my PC but I can't start the installation? here is my config

ppc_start_resolution = "800x600x15"

redraw_interval_msec = 100

key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"

key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"

prom_bootmethod = "auto"

prom_env_machargs = "-v"

prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"

#cpu_pvr = 0x000c0000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302

# 512 megs RAM
memory_size=0x20000000

pci_ide0_master_image = "E:\PearPC\hd_image.img"
pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"

pci_ide0_slave_image = "e:\pearpc\OSX_CD1.iso"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "hd"

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

pci_usb_installed = 1

thanks in advance
Trihedralguy
Space Cadet

Not working ;(

Post by Trihedralguy »

I followed the directions as stated, but my friend had given my the panter.img file, and i just converted it to an iso file with isobuster, so that might be the problem. If i have to ill bust out my os x 3.4 cd... ANYWAY! So far this is what i have I followed the directions and opened the ppccfg.example in the cmd pt. It stays its a good disk or what not and then i see a grey screen with the apple symbol, but then i see this:

I have no idea what to do from here, someone please help me!
Trihedralguy
Space Cadet

Thanks Anyways

Post by Trihedralguy »

Woot! Never mind i got it to work!
Matthew
Space Cadet

HELP ME

Post by Matthew »

Is there a Panther Img you can tell me where it is or email it? [/b]
willhart
Apple Corer

Re: HELP ME

Post by willhart »

Matthew wrote:Is there a Panther Img you can tell me where it is or email it? [/b]
8O Surely you don't mean piracy!
Hemmik
Space Cadet

Post by Hemmik »

I've been waiting quite some time but the "preparing installation" screen is where it doesn't seem to go any further. The blue\white bar is moving and when i go the installer tab on the top, the gray box disappears but then there is nothing i can do. Anyone got a clue?

update: When i look in the log file it says: Installer [111] Can't open package /system/installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (there was an error reading the file OSInstall.info)

I made the image using my iBook G4 install DVD
Ursula76
Space Cadet

Post by Ursula76 »

I've been waiting quite some time but the "preparing installation" screen is where it doesn't seem to go any further. The blue\white bar is moving and when i go the installer tab on the top, the gray box disappears but then there is nothing i can do. Anyone got a clue?

update: When i look in the log file it says: Installer [111] Can't open package /system/installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (there was an error reading the file OSInstall.info)

Hi!
I'm new to PearPC. I have the same problem... is there anybody who can tell me what to do? I don't use an iso image, I have a DVD MacOS X 10.3.8 (original).

Thank you very much,
bye
Ursula
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Ursula76 wrote:

Hi!
I'm new to PearPC. I have the same problem... is there anybody who can tell me what to do? I don't use an iso image, I have a DVD MacOS X 10.3.8 (original).

Thank you very much,
bye
Ursula
Do you use a generic OSX DVD, or one that came with a mac?
Ursula76
Space Cadet

Post by Ursula76 »

Hi! Thanks for replying..
I used the one with came with a new G5 ... I think that this is the problem. I tried with an image of a MacOS 10.2 Jaguar obtained by a friend, and it seems to work...
thedalsusa
Space Cadet

Same problem...

Post by thedalsusa »

I'm using the OSX that came with my iMAC G5 and I get to the point of Preparing Installation and I can get the window to disappear, leaving me in Installer. Doing a show log, I get Installer[109] Can't open package /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (there was an error reading the file OSInstall.info). Actually, normally I have some more messages about UTF8-3 and the filenames are wrong. I've tried ISO images I created on my MAC and converted the dmg to iso, Nero5, Nero6, as well as under Fedora FC3 doing a cp /dev/cdrom. All of them behave the same.

I'm at the point of figuring the iMAC's install CD is just a problem. I'm waiting to get Tiger and will try that CD/DVD. I don't know if I have access to a "generic" Jaguar disc.

I just about have given up unless someone has something else to try.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Alas, the G5 disks don't work with Pearpc.

Cat_7
freakyaye
Space Cadet

eeek

Post by freakyaye »

Hey guys, ive installed 10.3 from a .dmg i got off filetopia, installs fine (and not as long as i thought it would be) i used the disc utility in the installer to format my drive to a unix partition, just the 1, which i installed panther onto. Anyways, now even after ordering it doesnt 'see' the partition. Anyways here is my order if itll helo:

1: Apple/Apple_partition_map
2: Apple_UFS_Untitled_2/Apple_UFS
3: eXternal booter/Apple_Boot
4: /Apple_Free

Now i formatted as a unix partition with no max extended, this was right, right?

Its strange, if u use the startup utility in the install disc it lists 3 boot options, the startup disc, my hdd with 10.3 and another one called net soemthing, how can this program see it but not ppc? even if its in the right order?

Any help would certainly be appreciated
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Swell you let us know you illegally downloaded panther: BUT we don't want to know. Piracy is not condoned at this forum.

About your question: you should not format the image with unix format, but with mac extended, journalled
Afterwards you have to restart pearpc otherwise the volume will not show up as installable/bootable

Cat_7
vasilis
Space Cadet

Re: Thanks but...

Post by vasilis »

STKD wrote:
Autumnmist wrote:Thanks for the tutorial... but it's useless right now because Cat_7 took down the preprepped 10.3 image because people were reporting not being able to boot from it. So, there's no way for us to get a hold of it.
You'll now find it attached to end of the tutorial post. I wanted to do that originally but forgot. That solves that problem! ;)
greetings to all in the forum. where exactly is the image you are refering? i cant find it.

i am trying to install panther 10.3 in pearpc. in both 3gb and 6gb images, it gives the following error.

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. An earlier version of MaC OS X is not installed"

the isos are made through nero's "save track" method. also the 3 cd's are original. (not downloaded)
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

lol
forkart
Space Cadet

Re: Same problem...

Post by forkart »

thedalsusa wrote:I'm using the OSX that came with my iMAC G5 and I get to the point of Preparing Installation and I can get the window to disappear, leaving me in Installer. Doing a show log, I get Installer[109] Can't open package /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (there was an error reading the file OSInstall.info). Actually, normally I have some more messages about UTF8-3 and the filenames are wrong. I've tried ISO images I created on my MAC and converted the dmg to iso, Nero5, Nero6, as well as under Fedora FC3 doing a cp /dev/cdrom. All of them behave the same.

I'm at the point of figuring the iMAC's install CD is just a problem. I'm waiting to get Tiger and will try that CD/DVD. I don't know if I have access to a "generic" Jaguar disc.

I just about have given up unless someone has something else to try.
Try to use magiciso to convert DMG to ISO. It can work.
http://www.magiciso.com/FAQ/FAQ0011.htm