How to install 10.3 on PearPC *without* Darwin - tutorial!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Oracle
Space Cadet

Post by Oracle »

OK....I went ahead and registered. That was me above. I wanted to again thanks STKD...I could not look up name and maintain my post at the same time :-)

Anyway....I am gonna hang around and see what the next point release of PearPC brings....maybe networking..??

Oh yeah, something else I found...and maybe it was just me...the 6GB disk image on the PearPC site for "windows users". I didn't see an md5sum listed but the image appears to be bad. I used the one STKD attached to his post and BANG!....off to the races I went.
Guest Allclone

Post by Guest Allclone »

I am not a big nero fan but to fallow the tutorial I installed Nero full version because it cam with my burnning its version 6.3.0.3 and I look threw servral options for the save track thing but i cant find it any were could some one help me out.

Thanks for any help.
YOLY
Student Driver

Post by YOLY »

Guest Allclone:
go to "extras">save tracks :)

btw, does anyone still have any clue to my unbootable cd image problem, i tried so many methods already :cry:
michaeltal

Post by michaeltal »

YOLY wrote:btw, does anyone still have any clue to my unbootable cd image problem, i tried so many methods already :cry:
no, I have the same Problem :-(

Michael

Post by Guest »

My version of nero (5.5.8.3) doesn't allow me to save as ISO in the Save Track mode. Is there some other utility I can use? Also, I've nearly killed myself trying to use Gemulator Explorer to extract the image... it keeps insisting that the disk in the drive is an MSDOS disk :x
gamlidek
Space Cadet

Re: problem

Post by gamlidek »

STKD wrote:
wonderboy wrote:every time I try installing OSX, I am able to boot from the ISO file and get the 'apple' screen, but after a while it gives me this message:
Warning: AppleMac IO self test fails
then it does some other stuff, and finally gives me this message:
Still waiting for root device
which repeats every 5 minutes or so ad nauseum.
any ideas on what the problem could be? this has happened both following the guide and trying to do it on my own, and with both ver 1.1 and ver 1.1 jitc. Im wondering if it might be the iso files - I did not create them myself. rather I downloaded them (there is no way im paying for an OS that I have no other use for) however, if anyone suspects it is somthing other than the iso's, dont hesitate to inform me...
Personally I will neither condone or support anyone in ANY way who is using illegal materials for this, and would respectfully ask and expect others to do likewise. Emulation is on such a fine line of legality as it is that this kind of behaviour damages the whole emu scene. Emulation should not and WILL NOT be considered a means to condone piracy. Emulation is a technical interest, not about "ooh, free games! free software! me want!". This isn't "try before you buy" here. This is `hey if you own this, here's something cool you can do with it". If you don't own it, you don't have the right to use it, and woe betide anyone who gets on the wrong side of copyright and piracy laws in the current climate...
Frankly you don't deserve for it to work, you don't have the right for it to work, so don't ask for it to work. You've already by your own admission broken the law too, so don't expect support here.
I've seen this same problem, as well, in a previous attempt at getting this to work. I own a copy of OS X 10.3. It's mine and I bought it special for this project. Please tell me what this means, if you know. :D I do have to say that the previous attempt where I saw this was with the Darwin approach. This self-contained approach is *much* nicer!

Thanks a bunch! _Great_ tutorial. I'm running Fedora Core 1 with pearpc 0.1.2 and am happily emulating at the moment... Linux host with OS X guest running in PearPC and Windows guest running in VmWare... what more could a geek want?

Some notes from my install/usage:

Code: Select all

* Make sure there is at least 5G of free disk for the ISO's and virtual disk image.

* To create my iso images of OS X 10.3:
 - create a dir for the iso's:
    # mkdir /opt/pearpc/osx
 - create the iso's
    # cd /opt/pearpc/osx
    [insert CD1]
    # cp /dev/cdrom cd1.iso
    [insert CD2]
    # cp /dev/cdrom cd2.iso
    [insert CD3]
    # cp /dev/cdrom cd3.iso

* To unpack the 3G image:
 - downloaded the 7k macosx103.zip from the bottom of the tutorial post
 - download rar from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
 - install rar:
    # tar -zxvf rarlinux-3.3.0.tar.gz
    # cd rar ; make install
 - unpack image file:
    # mkdir /opt/pearpc/image
    # cd /opt/pearpc/image
    # wget http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/download.php?id=101
    # unzip macosx103.zip
    # unrar e -yr MacOSX103.rar

* To give your OS X install more memory, the following pearpc config settings are useful:
#
# Main memory (default 128 MiB)
# must be >= 64 MiB
#
# Uncomment for 128M:
#memory_size=0x8000000
# Uncomment for 256M:  <-- I use this one on my machine
#memory_size=0x10000000
# Uncomment for 384M:
#memory_size=0x18000000
# Uncomment for 512M:
#memory_size=0x20000000
# I think you see the pattern here...

* To speed up install, set a higher redraw interval in the pearpc config file:
# Uncomment 600ms redraw for installation
#redraw_interval_msec = 600
# Uncomment 200ms redraw for normal operation
#redraw_interval_msec = 200
Again, _great_ tutorial! Thanks *so* much! I wasn't so pleased with the Darwin-ised install procedure for OS X 10.3. This simplified things _tremendously_.

-gam
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Nice guide...I downloaded a self-copy...I am going to install MacOS X soon (waiting for a reply from other users @ eMacemulation.com)...
spankee

Post by spankee »

If your 5.5.x version of Nero does not allow you to save a track as an .ISO file then go to www.nero.com and download the latest update for 5.5. It will then let you extract a disc to an ISO image.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you mind if I modify your tutorial so that it explains how to do the same thing under Linux, and post it on your website?
I'll give you credit for the original tutorial, just tell me what to say...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Errm, that should be
"post if on my website"
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Good tutorial man , But I am having some trouble with extracting OS X 6 GB HDD....It takes a long time...
gionni

disk utility

Post by gionni »

Hi everybody i just got it working! It's really cool to see the osx desktop running on my pc!
the tutorial was very usefull, i followed it almost completely except for the partitionig thing. I managed to install osx without that step; what i did was to use the osx disk utility from the boot cd before installing the system.
I erased the 3gib disk with the utility and i created a osx extended partition.
That did the job. The installation went on slow ;) but pretty smooth.
After the reboot Pearpc had 2 bootable partitions, the cd and the osx disk.
Format the disk, install the os...sound like old win98 ?
For the rest i did exactly as told in the tutorial.
Can't belive anyone tried this way before.
Btw i'm running an osx 10.2 on xp pro but i guess this isn't really important.

one more thing, my config too had
pci_ide0_master_installed = 0 by default. Would be usefull to point that out in the tutorial.

Installation Scripts

Post by Guest »

Hi.

I'm trying to install Panther on this, your instructions have been great and it appears to work right up until the Installation Scripts part. Now you say leave it for a few hours... How does 6 days sound? It's been the longest 5 minutes of my life. he he.

Any ideas what could be taking so long?

It's a fairly high spec PC I think. AMD Athlon 1.7Ghz 512Mb RAM, is that enough?

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Installation Scripts

Post by Guest »

Hi, sorry ignore my last message.

I tried it for a 4th time and it actually worked. Don't think I did anything different.

Sorry for clogging up the topic.
Rubberduck

Panther Install.

Post by Rubberduck »

Well I've just installed Panther with the P4 Optimised version and it only took 1 hour 32 mins which isn't bad as it took 45 mins to install on my 500mz G4.

Does anyone know of some benchmark software so I can have a laugh !!!
rant
Inquisitive Elf

Post by rant »

When I make a track save with my nero I can only create a .nrg file not a .iso file like you mentioned in the tutorial. Is taht the same?
rainbowww

until step 10

Post by rainbowww »

ok it is working for me until step 9
i dont get eventually left with the shell if i boot from cd1 ;-( rather i would end up with the language selection screen of the install...
mhh what could i do wrong or what else could be meant by booting from cd again?

still great work !-)
rainbowww

Post by rainbowww »

ok ;-) i forgot to insert prom_env_machargs "-s"
jwhit

Partition order for booting

Post by jwhit »

Hi all,

Have followed the steps above and still have an unbootable hard drive. No probs booting from OS X 10.2.4 CD and full installation went fine. I've attached a screen shot of the list of my partitions.

The tutuorial above was great and easy to follow, but I'm assuming what I had at partition 3, and then moved to partition 2, wasn't right.

Anyone know the correct partition order in my scenario.

Thanks a bunch. :D

JW
PC Genie

MAC OS X installed in just 43 minutes !!!

Post by PC Genie »

I just finished installing MAC OS X on my win XP pro.
I was prepared for a 4-5 hour wait.
SUPRISINGLY it finished in less than an hour, in just 43 minutes.
And I WAS WORKING ON THE PC ALL THE TIME !!
I had about (8) programs running at the time, and MANY windows open!

I do not know how to explain this.

My PC IS:
DTK 5217, P4 3.06, 1GB ram, SATA HDD 120GB.

Oh, yes, I disabled the mouse during install : F12.

Thanks to all the guys for tutorials and help.

Post by Guest »

where can I ge he .iso? please someone help me i don't know anyboddy with an apple.
Can someone give it to me?
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Buy it. Trade for it. Fish it out of a dumpster. But don't ask for someone to give it to you. That's called Warez, and it's illegal. :roll:
Last edited by CaptainValor on Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Anonymous wrote:where can I ge he .iso? please someone help me i don't know anyboddy with an apple.
Can someone give it to me?

Yes , its iligeal...You might try buying it from eBay or borrow your friends copy (ask your friends if they have any OS X CD or those who have Macs)
Its that simple..
FraserGJ
Inquisitive Elf

Post by FraserGJ »

Thanks, that tutorial worked a charm :D

Still slow though :(

I took loads of screengrabs as I did the install, if you want some I can post a few key ones 8)

german keyboards

Post by Guest »

hi thanks for the faq!
worked like a charm on my gentoo box!

and btw if anyone has a german keyboard layout its alt gr-q at the registration screen :)