Can i open or uncompress a .dmg.sit file in Windows?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MakZan
Student Driver

Can i open or uncompress a .dmg.sit file in Windows?

Post by MakZan »

I have a Mac OSX file with .dmg.sit ending. what can i do to make it a .iso file to let PearPC boot?
Chongdee

Post by Chongdee »

Probably not.
:(

Post by Guest »

www.stuffit.com

Download the Standard Windows version. It includes "Expander", which can extract the *.sit files!

Post by Guest »

Sorry, forgot.
When using Linux, you can also use the Unix version of course.
The .dmg file can be mounted directly by PearPC - no .iso needed!
dazld

Post by dazld »

i dont think it can read compressed dmg - if you made an image for export that should be fine, as its an iso with a different extension :)
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

Extract the file using Stuffit Expander for windows, at http://www.aladdinsys.com

Then, use the .dmg file just as you would a .iso file, PearPC will read them the same way. I installed my OS 10.2 via .dmg files, and it worked fine.
MakZan
Student Driver

Post by MakZan »

Thank you. i will try to install the mac os X 10.1 via dmg.
hope that i can do it.
MakZan
Student Driver

Post by MakZan »

the pearpc said my osx's dmg file was not bootable. i am using windows? what can i do?
dazld

Post by dazld »

I think you missed what I said - while the .sit files (mac equivalent of zip) can be decompressed, you -cannot- decompress a compressed dmg on a wintel machine, hence, pearpc will not recognise the file as being bootable, as it would a raw (uncompressed) dmg.

If you are making cd images on a mac machine (as you should be :P ) then you need to make an image for -export-, or else it will not work. They should be the same size as a cd - if they are smaller then you know something has gone wrong.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Bish

Post by Bish »

Some .dmg files are just normal uncompressed .iso files (or: somebody just chose wrong extension), and I these were the files that worked in PearPC.

Real (compressed) .dmg files cannot be unpacked on PC. You need a real Macintosh to convert them to .iso.