Using a dmg image for CD instead of ISO

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

DarezGhost

Using a dmg image for CD instead of ISO

Post by DarezGhost »

Hey people,

I have a dmg CD image of Mac OS X. Can this be used with PearPC? I do not have access to a Mac so I cannot convert this file to an ISO. Please let me know what I should do.

Post by Guest »

At least my .dmg image of Microsoft Office X mounted fine with PearPC without converting to .iso!
MakZan
Student Driver

Post by MakZan »

i want to know too because i have a macos X's dmg file and i want to install it into pearpc.
thimic
Space Cadet

Post by thimic »

I don't know much about OS X, so I guess this is a stupid question. I have downloaded the 30 day trial of Office 2004 in Windows and the file extension is *.dmg.bin . I have tried to mount the image directly in the config file, and also made an iso of the bin file and mounted that, but nothing seems to work. How do I install Office?
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

thimic wrote:I don't know much about OS X, so I guess this is a stupid question. I have downloaded the 30 day trial of Office 2004 in Windows and the file extension is *.dmg.bin . I have tried to mount the image directly in the config file, and also made an iso of the bin file and mounted that, but nothing seems to work. How do I install Office?
Rename the file to .dmg. Make an ISO out of it so you can mount it as a CD image in PearPC. Then open the CD once OS-X is up and double click on the .DMG file to run it.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

be very careful of this
there was never a demo version release of office 2004. 30 days or not.
it is a trogon that mucks up you system
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

I thought microsoft released a version of office2004. Is this not true?

Post by Guest »

yes they did on macupdate. It's a 30 days trial and it has some cool transparency features on pallets.
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

Yukon Kid wrote:be very careful of this
there was never a demo version release of office 2004. 30 days or not.
it is a trogon that mucks up you system

Ditto ditto... Be careful. Macs are not immune to trojans/worms/viruses. Within the last two months, there have been at least 4 known exploits (3 found in the wild) that erase all the contents of your Home directory. (They are similar to Windows trojans... because in OS X, Apple chooses the icon to display based upon the file extension... so it's easy to give a trojan a harmless-looking icon.) And no, even if you are up to date on all your patches, Apple still has not fixed all of these exposed vulnerabilities.