Mounting HD image in windows

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ivanadrive
Student Driver

Mounting HD image in windows

Post by ivanadrive »

Here's a working solution to get files from PearPC OS X to Windows:

Install Daemon tools cd-rom emulator and mount the image.
Now, windows won't be able to read the file system since it's HFS+, so you'll need some other software like MacDrive from mediafour.com too.

Post by Guest »

can you give a little more explain ?
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

"you'll need some other software like MacDrive from mediafour.com too"

perhaps this is what he wanted elaboration on. I have daemon tools...but woudln't know what to do after that. any suggestions?
ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

Once you have installed both Daemon tools (other virtual cd drives might work too, but I havent tested those) and MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/), and rebooted, mount your HD image by right clicking on the Daemon tools icon in the tray (it's blue and square), select "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM > Device 0: No media > Mount image" (You have to setup at least one virtual drive, see http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/ ... #helpstart on how to do that), and select the HD image (you will problably have to set file type to "All files (*.*)" to see the image). Now it should be mounted and MacDrive will automatically make the image readable for windows.

Post by Guest »

I have done this and I can access the drive but I can´ move or copy anything to the drive ´cos it´s protected. :(

and I can´ remove the protection.
ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

You can only get stuff FROM the HD image in this way, if you want to put stuff on, you need to create an ISO file with software like UltraISO or WinISO and use it as a CD and copy the files in OS X.
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

thanks for the help...I"ll try that once my install is actually working, lol
dylan2000
Student Driver

Post by dylan2000 »

mounting the .img file as a CD drive is kind of dumb because you can't write to it. and making an ISO file and mounting that in OS X is an awful lot of hassle just to get some files readable by the mac OS.

why not just mount the .img as a logical drive in windows and read and write like a normal drive??

you can do that with Filedisk and it will make your life a whole hell of a lot easier than how you were doing it.

hope that helps

Post by Guest »

I don´ get how filedisk works... :? ...can you make a short guide on how to.
ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

dylan2000 wrote:mounting the .img file as a CD drive is kind of dumb because you can't write to it. and making an ISO file and mounting that in OS X is an awful lot of hassle just to get some files readable by the mac OS.

why not just mount the .img as a logical drive in windows and read and write like a normal drive??

you can do that with Filedisk and it will make your life a whole hell of a lot easier than how you were doing it.

hope that helps
Interesting piece of software, but did you actually test this? To write to the image containing OS X, FileDisk would have to be able to handle the HFS+ file sytem. As far as I can tell from the documentation, it doesn't. Besides I wouldn't start messing with the HD image outside PearPC since an install takes so much time.
dylan2000
Student Driver

Post by dylan2000 »

yes i have thoroughly tested it by using it :) the HFS bit is handled by Macdrive or something similar and with the .img file mounted as a drive it's just the same as plugging a mac drive into the PC.

as for damaging the image file, well this is a program which works with .img files in the same way others work with .zip or .iso or .doc files so i can't really see the risks of damage being any greater. on other OSes mounting an img file is a pretty everyday thing, after all.

for the paranoid i would maybe suggest copying that .img file as soon as OS X is installed on it and then zipping or rar-ing it. compression should be at the very least 50% since it's only half full but i bet it would compress way more than that and then you have a virgin OS X backup.
ZOleg

Post by ZOleg »

Yes it works!!!!
I installed MacDrive 5.0.13 and filedisk and now i mount 3Gb hd image file with installed MacOS x 10.2.8 and read and write file to image file!!!

ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

Cool! I'll give FileDisk a try :D
Diodak

I cant mount OS X 10.3 Panther HD-file on Windows :(

Post by Diodak »

Maybe FileDisk works with Mac OS X 10.2 HD-file, but it doesn't working with OS X 10.3 file :( FileDIsk mounts image, but MacDrive can't recognize it :( It's not a problem of MacDrive or OS 10.3 image, because this image works with MacDrive when mounted as a CD in DaemonTools. Is there any way to mount Panther image R/W on Windows??
zone

Post by zone »

It works for me! (10.3) filedisk + macdrive
Lynx
Space Cadet

Post by Lynx »

After having finally worked out to run filedisk u need to put it in the the filedisk.sys in the system32/ folder..

add the filedisk.reg file to the registry by double clicking on it and hitting ok..

than reboot...

Once you've done this, start -> run -> cmd.exe

go into the filedisk folder

filedisk /mount 0 c:\pearpc\PantherImage.img y: to mount it to y:

if you get an error that its in use, either close pearpc (can't have both going) or just try it again...

macdrive does read 10.3 images, i'm doing it @ home, and u can read and write files to it, installed a number of things including office 2004 this way and upgraded to 10.3.3...

Also to unmount type filedisk /umount y:

Hope that helps..

Lynx
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Has anyone tried WinISO to get files into an *.ISO file for OSX to access?

http://www.winiso.com
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!

Post by Guest »

robojam wrote:Has anyone tried WinISO to get files into an *.ISO file for OSX to access?

Yes I do. It works. 10.3
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Too bad MacDrive costs 50 bucks. Otherwise I would try this. :(
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

robojam wrote:Has anyone tried WinISO to get files into an *.ISO file for OSX to access?

I can confirm this works to, if only changecd button worked or real/virtualcd(Like Daemon tools) drives worked.

Post by Guest »

or you could just use the networking patch to transfer files :OP
c'est tres rapide!