PearPC wish-list

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Promethe
Space Cadet

PearPC wish-list

Post by Promethe »

Wrote here wishes for next PearPC version, but please, without any 'more faster', 'add networking support', 'add sound support', becouse we know, then developers working to make it work. Wrote things as...

1. Add pause/hibernation
2. Add file-share folder

To ClockWise - please, stick this topic :)

Post by Guest »

get some gui program for the config file, for win and *nix as well.
maybe... a sugestion.
BobMcGee
Inquisitive Elf

Post by BobMcGee »

Anonymous wrote:get some gui program for the config file, for win and *nix as well.
maybe... a sugestion.
Try PearGUI
http://www.freewebs.com/peargui
MakZan
Student Driver

Post by MakZan »

internet access.
cdrom access directly
BobMcGee
Inquisitive Elf

Post by BobMcGee »

Support for a two button mouse. On my mac the second button is the same as Ctrl+Click
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

-Ability for the emulated OS to use your graphics card, so Quartz runs smoother
-A lot more performance optimization
-Sound
-Networking in WINDOWS
-All the functionality provided by VMTools when running VMWare
(ie. moving the mouse into the PPC window grabs the mouse and keyboard automatically, and you can drag and drop files into the VM)

I'm sure I'll think of more. ;)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I think the graphics performance could be improved using Direct X under Windows. I'm not programmer but that's just my simplistic view of things. Also, I'd like to see them implement Alti-Vec emualtion. Gwenole has proved it is possible in SheepShaver.
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

I thought of a wishlist too.

So here are my wishes (although we should all be thankful and glad that PearPC exists):

-Network support for Windows
-Ability to use physical drives
-Better Hardware emulation (i.e. integration of the real-existing components of the PC PearPC is running on, like graphics cards, USB 2.0, FireWire etc.)
-Drag & Drop would be cool
-Code Optimization, integration of AltiVec, use of HT or other extensions like SSE instructions
-Support for more OS's like Mac OS 8.5.x to 9.2.2 or Mac Classic environment in Mac OS X
-An improved GUI (not a frontend, but the actual application window)

I think of all the advantages that VMWare or VirtualPC have (like the people in the previous posts), although I know that some of these maybe will never be realized.
Anyay, I'm very optimistic that if the most talented coders and programmers in Open Source will unite, we'll see some fantastic releases in the future with much more usability and, of course, more speed!
Perhaps one day, PearPC will be the ultimate cross-platform solution.
Amaranth
Student Driver

Post by Amaranth »

If I had fullscreen mode I could almost trick myself into thinking I just bought a really old Mac. :)
icedragon
Student Driver

Post by icedragon »

A free turtleneck with a silkscreened image of Steve Jobs and Steve Ballmer with their arms around eachother.

Post by Guest »

Sound - Inputs and Outputs for audio production
Speeeeeeed
Reliability to the point of being able to boot and be used on it's own
Networking/internet use/etc. communications
Actual CD-Rom access instead of the ISO
Get rid of the PearPC window AKA basilisk full screen mode

Any more? That would be asking way too much.
BobMcGee
Inquisitive Elf

Post by BobMcGee »

Ohhhh ... a turtleneck ... Yes!
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

My wish list is as follows.
-Network
-Optimistaion for HT cpus
-Quicker emulation
-Cd-rom support
-Os9 support
-Full screen
-Optional G4 cards aveable form the creators of pear pc so the cpu wont have to be emulated.

That would make this the perfect emulator.
nutznboltz
Student Driver

Post by nutznboltz »

That it didn't crash with:

[CPU/FPU] <Error> fmul.

when I was running Excell.
ChemBot

Post by ChemBot »

How about some icons on the PearPC window indicating when it is accessing it's virtual hard drive? Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's just taking a long time to do stuff, or if I need to double-click the program again.
Cybermagellan

Wish list

Post by Cybermagellan »

This would be my wish list and I am estatic that this even exist

1. A company to pour money into this to give them more developers
2. Inet support (Everyone know's they're working on this)
3. CD Support (See number 2)
4. Aceess to the physical drivers (again number2)
5. An Installer even though it was fun doing it it this way
6. Sound support (number2)
7. Legacy Support (number2)
8. Allowing Physical RAM to set in PPC
9. Formating to allow this to be used in VMWare (even though I love this)
10. Peace on earth, the end of world hunger, and meet aliens (if they exist)
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I think it would be good if it could be ported to MacOSX and BeOS,
and all of the things above.
Oh, and it should remain free!

Post by Guest »

I´d like to see OS 9 support. I have no use for OS X, as I use it on real Macs, but running OS 9 applications on my PC would come in handy sometimes. Probably it would run at better speeds too, as OS X is hardly enjoyable on anything less than a 800Mhz G3 Mac.
A 800Mhz G3 is probably comparable to a 1.2Ghz Intel, which gives that it would take som serious power to emulate it.
OS 9 on the other hand runs just fine on a 200Mhz 603 class processor. Should be easier to emulate good.
Durendal
Space Cadet

Post by Durendal »

I would like to see a "Shared foder" that bot the host (Win XP) and Mac OS can use at the same time for easy file sharing.

Post by Guest »

While it is interesting to see that PearPC works within Windows, unless the intention is to permit cut/paste or drag/drop between OS's then running Windows in order to run MacOS is resource inefficient.

It would be much better (and probably permit developers to concentrate on optimization) if there were a tiny bootable linux kernel/PPCvm that booted MacOS. Conversely, if people are reluctant to repartition their computer, it might be similarly possible to have a reboot into MacOS function a la the old BEos.
Roel

My List

Post by Roel »

1 .. People helping the developers write more functions
1.5 More people writing code ( twice too stress the importance)
2 .. A VMWare like HW platform emulation. Just load the drivers and the system will utilize the system under PPC without further processing from Apple side.
3 .. Full screen
4 .. A screen on/off function. If the computer has a intensive task ahead, just spend all the cycles on that and forget the screen until I switch it on
5 .. Direct X / SDL
6 .. Raw Disk acces

Currently I feel that only two people are developing the program, while for example 1 programmer could develop the network part (Mac OS X is just a application that can use a socket). One developer could do the sound support, 1 the screen IO etc. I am no developer what so ever, I saw my last line of C++ code in 1996.

Most of all, if someone can find a way to solve the memory lookup problem, that would increase the speed enormously.

Cheerio
sHARD>>
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sHARD>> »

nutznboltz wrote:That it didn't crash with:

[CPU/FPU] <Error> fmul.

when I was running Excell.
Thats only because Excel uses an advanced math engine, which requires floating point operations, which are controlled by the FPU. So when they finsih emulating that (which the HAVE to to make it fully working), Excel will function.
Collaborate with security:
Use WASTE
ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

- Limit on CPU usage when idle (now constantly at 100%, my computer is overheating)
- 2 button mouse + scroll
- higher resolutions/full screen
- Change CD button like it's done in Virtual PC (small icon at the bottom of the window)
- Keyboard support for different languages / key mapping configuration options
- Hidden DOS window
sHARD>>
Inquisitive Elf

Re: My List

Post by sHARD>> »

Roel wrote: Currently I feel that only two people are developing the program, while for example 1 programmer could develop the network part (Mac OS X is just a application that can use a socket). One developer could do the sound support, 1 the screen IO etc. I am no developer what so ever, I saw my last line of C++ code in 1996.
You may feel, but you don't know. If you were on the dev mailing list you would know at least 5 people are actively developing, and up to 30 have contributed.
Collaborate with security:
Use WASTE

Post by Guest »

a way to switch isos while panther is running and a way to hide the change cd button (which doesnt even do anything on my pc)

Josh