PearPC wish-list

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Speed and sound now that whe have networking and full screen capability
and the capacity to use cd instead of cd image.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yeah, sound is the next big one. And improved graphics would be a close second.
liquex
Student Driver

Post by liquex »

video.x-- isn't this just a generic software driver?

what would be good is if there was a bunch of specially written drivers for pear pc, (for ATI's radeon line, nvidia's geforce 4/fx, etc)... this way, pearpc wouldn't have to worry so much about redrawing and focus more on other things... it would make things so much faster... wouldn't it?

(will biallas use the alread-written fullscreen feature? i hope so...except i'd like the feature to start up directly into fullscreen...and built-in network support so users don't have to install this TAP32 crap)

--edit--
is quartz a standard on macs like direct x is on windows? and would PC boards support it? or is quartz apple's fancy name for all of its user interface sexiness (running on opengl)?

damn! there's so much work that has to be done! its a shame i know nothing about coding, otherwise i'd be working my ass off contributing
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Also just tought about that it would be great to get access to more ide interface instead of the two whe get now it would be cool to get ide0 and ide1
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

One more thing,

Better improvement on detecting MacOS X CD as bootable....
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

liquex wrote:is quartz a standard on macs like direct x is on windows? and would PC boards support it? or is quartz apple's fancy name for all of its user interface sexiness (running on opengl)?
Why don't you read about it. ;)
l_lama

Post by l_lama »

Maybe we could get more perfomance if critical parts of code will be moved out of userspace, maybe as some kind of device driver on win32 and loadable module on linux.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

It would be even nicer if you could provide some conduit for direct access to the video card through OS X. OS X has built-in drivers for most ATI and Nvidia cards, so it would simply be a matter of translation.
liquex
Student Driver

Post by liquex »

CaptainValor wrote:It would be even nicer if you could provide some conduit for direct access to the video card through OS X. OS X has built-in drivers for most ATI and Nvidia cards, so it would simply be a matter of translation.
exactly my point... i think PearPC would run at least 30% faster if the visuals in OS X were put to use through a video card. i was thinking PearPC should come equipped with an installer, or GUI app (ala BasiliskGUI, or one of the various GUI apps already written for PearPC), that also detects the video card and if OS X can use it, then it routes all graphics power to the video card... if not, then software acceleration would be used (like it is already.. right now)

it would be simply fantastic! then i can prove to my friends how awesome expose and fast user switching is.... HA!
Hadron
Student Driver

Post by Hadron »

More linux UPDATE !!!
Llama
Student Driver

Post by Llama »

Hadron wrote:More linux UPDATE !!!
Which features are unavailable on linux except fullscreen?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Would it be easy to optimize pearpc for older processors like the pentium three?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Yeah, just compile it on that CPU. Isn't someone on this board hosting a P3 build?
ibanezcollector
Student Driver

Post by ibanezcollector »

Marc wrote:Yeah, just compile it on that CPU. Isn't someone on this board hosting a P3 build?
yes I seen it today..

couldnt imagine pearpc on a p3
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Marc wrote:Yeah, just compile it on that CPU. Isn't someone on this board hosting a P3 build?
So if I got the source code, compiled it on my PentiumIII, it would run better that a version that I download from the PearPC website?
Maddog16

Personal PearPC Wishlist

Post by Maddog16 »

I think PearPC should support mounting SCSI disks installed on the local computer, a built in dns server, dhcp server, etc, kind of like VMWare does. It should be able to support fullscreen after some work, Command Keys to change cds, restart, shutdown, save machine state, etc. An installer for Windows to place PearPC in Program Files. A dummy appletalk protocol to transfer files in/out of pearpc, this can be done with samba and FTP however. A disk image builder. A configurable GUI like Basilisk2, that would be great...
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Stephen Coates wrote:So if I got the source code, compiled it on my PentiumIII, it would run better that a version that I download from the PearPC website?
It should do, yes, if you compile with all the CPUs optimisation flags on.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Here's a simple one: map the Eject and Volume Up/Down keys. Although I can't think of what you would map them to, though. :wink:
liquex
Student Driver

Post by liquex »

isn't eject F12 on a mac?

i'm not sure what vol up/down is...but...

i do know that with fullscreen occupying my F5 key and a key combo occupying my F11 key... two features on the mac is being limited.... F11 is used for expose, i believe... to show the desktop.

so i was thinking maybe get rid of the key combo and use a non-mac related keystroke to go fullscreen, we need the F-keys!
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

ibanezcollector wrote:
yes I seen it today..

couldnt imagine pearpc on a p3
i think you're referring to me

and yes...it's slow

i can't imagine PearPC on a P4...i think the speed would blow my mind...lol
FraserGJ
Inquisitive Elf

Post by FraserGJ »

1. Speed is the most important wish for me. i'veupped it but the mouse is still quite jumpy.
2. CD-ROM changing (possibly allowing connecting/disconnecting of cd devices/images from within the interface (like VMWare)
3. Better performance with video (give graphics card more control over drawing - maybe use overlay surface? :? )

Maybe after Mac OS is completely supported and foolproof, allowing the emulator to run OSs in other architectures (for a complete system) - of course - task with least priority

And of course remaining free under the GPL :D
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Long live the GPL! :D
the emaculator
Space Cadet

Post by the emaculator »

any chance someone could compile a version pearpc for a powermac so can run osx on my old powerrmac5500?
brannoch
Tinkerer

Sparse File Support

Post by brannoch »

Others have already suggested most of what I would want, so I'll try something new:

I'd like sparse file support for image files on NTFS. This would allow people to allocate much larger image files than available space, which would allow them to add more usable space just by moving the image to a drive with more physical space on it rather than having to copy to a new image an make it bootable.

Also, it would be nice if PearPC didn't crash when images are NTFS compressed files. I'm just trying to save some space here.

By the way, I run PearPC on a PIII, and a Celeron too. I have a P4 and Athlon Thunderbird around here somewhere but neither are working right now. Maybe later.
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

the emaculator wrote:any chance someone could compile a version pearpc for a powermac so can run osx on my old powerrmac5500?
if you use linux you could get Mac On Linux and run OS X from on an older mac much faster then you ever would with PearPC

although it sounds like an idea...i'm not aware of anyone trying it...i may since i have an old Powermac 6360