"Optimizing System Performance"?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

"Optimizing System Performance"?

Post by CaptainValor »

After using Panther for about a week now, I've run across a few installation routines (namely the Apple stuff like iMovie and the 10.3.3 Update) which have a segment of the install labelled "Optimizing System Performance" that seems to take a very long time. Having not been a Mac user before all this (my friend is loaning me his Panther disks), I'm not familiar with what exactly this is doing or why. Could anyone enlighten me?

Post by Guest »

I beleive its like a defrag. I ran into this today too. It took longer to "optimize" then it did to install the update. I installed 10.3.3, the 5/04 security update and the 5/24 security update. All three of them did the "optimizing system permormance" and it took forever. There wasn't very much disk activity on my host system though.

Post by Guest »

I think it runs a script that repairs permissions, and perhaps a file defragmentation. Panther automatically defragments files when launched, but perhaps it does this while installing too. I´m not sure though.
eno

Post by eno »

On a real Mac this is the longest part of software update installation (i'm a Mac user). It takes about 10-15 minutes on real G3/250 for 10.2.8 Update. Combo updates have longer optimization.
Evinyatar
Student Driver

Post by Evinyatar »

In fact this prelinks all binaries (executables, libraries), which results in faster load times of applications. Kind of like relinking binaries with static libraries instead of dynamic ones so it doesn't have to go look for the dynamic libraries on load.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

That's pretty cool. Thanks for info guys. :)