Panther upgrade disks on eBay

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Panther upgrade disks on eBay

Post by Ph0eniX »

I'm currently running Jaguar and looking to upgrade to Panther. My question is: if Apple doesn't give any price brakes on upgrades, how come some of the people on eBay are claiming that they're selling an upgrade version and that the previous version of OS-X is required in order to install it?
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

Possibly because they are not genuine OS disks perhaps?
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
nikoniko
Student Driver

Re: Panther upgrade disks on eBay

Post by nikoniko »

Ph0eniX wrote:if Apple doesn't give any price brakes on upgrades, how come some of the people on eBay are claiming that they're selling an upgrade version and that the previous version of OS-X is required in order to install it?
Power Mac G5 users can upgrade to Panther for "free", meaning they only have to pay $19.95 shipping and handling. These upgrade disks require a previous version of Mac OS X to be installed. People get the upgrade disk, burn themselves a copy of it to keep, then sell the original disk on eBay for more than $19.95. Or professional resellers (sometimes pawn shop owners with an eye for computers), wise in the ways of turning a profit, buy G5 machines back from people who made an expensive impulse purchase and want to unload them quickly, register for these upgrade disks themselves, and then resell them them separately from the machine, perhaps preinstalling 10.3 on the Mac but providing the buyer a disc for 10.2.

Cheers,
nikoniko
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

Geez you guys... think for a min.
the update disks are now outdated....lol
since i paid 19.95 for mine there have been several updates...
anyone care to reinstall win??? then go to the site to update all the patches......makes the origional disks a pain, so backing up the system is a much better way to do things.
I installed osx on my pc but it is not the same version as I have on my mac since i can't get online through windows yet.
Some people will sell the upgrade disks because they still have some value.
as for the "free" upgrade, it was a limited time offer so if you didn't get the upgrade then you would have to pay the same as the person with the G3, or G4 machines.

just wait til 10.4 is out and then see who gets the freebies.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Speaking of 10.4, is there an information page on it anywhere? I'd like to see what new features it's offering.
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

nikoniko wrote:
Ph0eniX wrote:if Apple doesn't give any price brakes on upgrades, how come some of the people on eBay are claiming that they're selling an upgrade version and that the previous version of OS-X is required in order to install it?
Power Mac G5 users can upgrade to Panther for "free", meaning they only have to pay $19.95 shipping and handling. These upgrade disks require a previous version of Mac OS X to be installed.
Thanks! ...I didn't know about this.
nikoniko
Student Driver

Post by nikoniko »

Ph0eniX wrote:Thanks! ...I didn't know about this.
Ahh... looks like I'm only partly right, though. I didn't realize that was a limited-time offer which expired after Dec 31, '03.

Cheers,
nikoniko
Dogan

Post by Dogan »

CaptainValor wrote:Speaking of 10.4, is there an information page on it anywhere? I'd like to see what new features it's offering.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=169698