Quartz Optimization?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Quartz Optimization?

Post by CaptainValor »

With the new build of us seem to be getting much better performance at higher redraw rates (<100). But even with these higher redraw rates the Quartz performance (such as the "genie" effect when minimizing and restoring a window) in OS X is still very slow (as in 1 or 2 fps). Is there any way that anyone has figured out at this point to speed up Quartz rendering?
Menge

Post by Menge »

i'd take a wild guess that for those quartz effects look really nice, they'd need to implement some sort of OpenGL support. i mean, as in using the real video card in the emulated machine. but i guess it'd be VERY hard.

i also believe that once they get their cpu emulation optimized (MMU stuff is the most speed-relevant optimization needed), it should start to get smoother.

but for a true OS X experience i guess they'd need OpenGL.
schlepp
Space Cadet

Post by schlepp »

Opengl is an open standard, wouldn't it just be a matter of mapping the instructions to windows opengl routines?
just a thought...
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I think the important word in your post is "just". I think it would be a little more than "just"....
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

You sure are pessimistic, Robo. What makes you think it would be so hard?

Post by Guest »

is there anyway to disable them?
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Remember that there are only two guys doing the development, and like most development, 90% of it is just tedious work. I was more thinking of the enormity of the task rather than thinking it was impossible.

For Windows, OpenGL just gives a programmer an interface to work with, but if you wanted to interface Windows with the OpenGL from another operating system, there is a lot of work ahead...

Definitely not being pessimistic though, I think the developers of PearPC are probably capable of doing anything with it given time.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!