Installing Mac OS X on PearPC is illegal

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ivanadrive
Student Driver

Installing Mac OS X on PearPC is illegal

Post by ivanadrive »

I read somewhere a long time ago installing Mac OS on non-Apple hardware was illegal, today I decided to actually check it and this is what I found:

Read this part of the software licence agreement:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.
So even if you buy the original retail CDs you're doing illegal stuff :twisted:
MacZinger

Post by MacZinger »

I'm selling Apple stickers. Wanna buy some and stick em on your pc so it becomes an "Apple labeled" computer? :roll:
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

There are rules designed to truly protect intelectual property and then there are stupid rules. This is one of them (it makes just as much sense as the DRM in iTunes). Fuck Apple and the horse they rode on if I can't install my copy (that I paid for) of Panther or Jaguar on whatever device I want.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

one of the reasons for the statment is that some people don't know the difference between apples and oranges...hehehehe
if you read the statement it says that it has to be installed on an apple labeled computer because that is the only system Apple supports.
If you buy the diska from apple then go and complain to them that it does not run on your PC...guess what, they will tell you that it only is supported on their equipment.
however Apple did allow 3rd party computers to be made, and they are not apple labled, unless it means that apple software will run on them.
felaras
Space Cadet

Post by felaras »

How about Mac-on-Linux then? Is it also illegal?
ivanadrive
Student Driver

Post by ivanadrive »

felaras wrote:How about Mac-on-Linux then? Is it also illegal?
If you run linux as a host os on an Apple computer, it isn't :wink:
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

Re: Installing Mac OS X on PearPC is illegal

Post by Le petit prince »

ivanadrive wrote:So even if you buy the original retail CDs you're doing illegal stuff :twisted:

That's a bit too general and simple to be true. First of all: Even if you can't imagine: Apple sells copies of Mac OS X world-wide, and there still is a world outside the U.S.. ;-) It is already more than doubtful if Apple can impose such stipulations on their customers under national legislation in most E.U. member states at all (I rather doubt it). As far as I can see such questions have not yet been brought before a court within any of the E.U. member states.

This is just one legal aspect. One could continue with a hundred more legal problems that are related to this question, no matter under which jurisdiction you actually are. So giving an answer like the above has to rely on pure speculation.

Le petit prince

Post by Guest »

Sounds to me like you're doing something illegal just by making a bootable ISO. Also, if you interperet it differently, then it just means you can only have it on one APPLE labeled computer, you can install it on 30 different non-Apple based PCs. :wink:
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

This reminds me of the statement: Do not remove this tag under penalty of law....know where that is from? How many times has that been broken? I rest MY case
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

OMG , Will apple spy on us ? if we emulate OS X
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Um, only as much if not littler than Microsoft currently does....

Post by Guest »

Do not remove this tag under penalty of law
This actually is referring to the retailers/distributors and NOT the end user.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Does anyone know if the developers of PearPC have had any contact from Apple's legal team yet?
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

robojam wrote:Does anyone know if the developers of PearPC have had any contact from Apple's legal team yet?
If they've reversed engineered and got the information from freely available documents they have broken no laws, certainly not in the EU. I think the DMCA might have something in it but we don't have such facist bullshit in europe.

Hopefully we never will but I doubt it.

Nintendo were more likely to close down GC & N64 emulators than Apple this.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

A fascist totalitarian state isn't far off in the UK with Mr Blair's ID card scheme...
Jason

Not illegal

Post by Jason »

There is absolutely nothing illegal in PearPC or installing OS X on it. You are just breaking the EULA from Apple which means you are not entitled to any support.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Which BTW if you are using this and wanna call Apple for tech support then something is probably wrong with you in the first place...
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I would do it, just to see what the reaction was....heh, heh
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Hey! Apple! Bite my shiny metal ass!
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

robojam wrote:A fascist totalitarian state isn't far off in the UK with Mr Blair's ID card scheme...
Indeed, you are right. And also the fact that Mr Blair and Mr. Blunket (Home Secretary) want US to pay for the cards they are making us use. I have nothing against ID cards, but the fact that I have to pay for one is a joke!

I don't think you are doing anything illegal if you are making an iso as that could be your one copy for backup.