PEARPC DUAL PROCESSOR COMPATIBILITY

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cr@iG

PEARPC DUAL PROCESSOR COMPATIBILITY

Post by Cr@iG »

Hi guys,

New to this forum but have been following the progress of pearpc since i first found out about it.

I am about to buy a new dual 3.02gig ZEON with 2 gig of ddr ram, 120gig SATA and a radeon 9800. I and am wondering about the compatibility and useability of the emulator on certain systems and if anyone could anser the following questions it would be appreciated!!

1.) Does anyone use the emulator on a dual processor system??

2.) How useable is the emulator on a single P4 3gig??
Jerzu

Re: PEARPC DUAL PROCESSOR COMPATIBILITY

Post by Jerzu »

I think it's gonna work almost exactly as fast as on the single CPU PC. If you want to have the second CPU just to make PearPC faster, you're wasting your money. If you just want to have the fastest PC in the town, go ahead.

Oh, btw have you considered buying dual Opteron PC instead?
eddiejclayton

Post by eddiejclayton »

I'm running Pear PC on my dual Opteron box, doesn't seem to help it any. It just runs on 1 processor, leaving the other one free to do other things. So in short the App doesn't see the 2nd CPU.
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

eddiejclayton wrote:I'm running Pear PC on my dual Opteron box, doesn't seem to help it any. It just runs on 1 processor, leaving the other one free to do other things. So in short the App doesn't see the 2nd CPU.
The only emu that has dual proccessor support I can think of is virtualpc on the mac. (Bochs has dual proccessor emulation but that's a different matter entirely) It's doesn't make much of a difference on virtualpc performance wise. You can't easily emulate a single proccessor using 2 proccessor's and expect speed up. Of course a better choice given a lot of Mac's are dual proccessor is to emulate both proccessors one on each CPU. Something that HT might even be able to take advantage of.

Post by Guest »

vmware has a dual cpu emulator too