Networking not working (WindowsXP)

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Networking not working (WindowsXP)

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I've been trying to get the Windows PearPC Networking going - but Mac OS X 10.2.4 won't detect the virtual Realtek adaptor.

When I go into the Networks panel of System Configuration, nothing happens. No network adaptors, nothing.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3089/mac1.jpg - that's all I get. Under "Show:", there are no entries other than "Network Port Configurations".

I am using the latest build of Pear PC with Networking (pearpc_noarch-win32net-R2.rar), and have installed the 2.0 version of OpenVPN. I am running Windows XP with SP1, with ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.

Has anyone with Jaguar actually gotten networking to work in Windows - or is it just Panther people?

Thankou,

Anthony
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I'm exactly in the same predicament despite a lot of tickering. Using OS X 10.2.8 though. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Last edited by Mac Emu on Thu May 27, 2004 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

I have the same problem, when I rummaged around in the Utilities folder I found a tool called Network utility, this crashed as I had deselected the bsd sub system. I am currently performing an "upgrade" using Jaguar in order to add the missing files. I suspect that many people are using Panther which may have enhanced network adapter detetction capabilities, or, maybe, the whole thing has to be recompiled for Jaguar users.

I am using the standard 3GB PearPC hard file, plus the Open VPN tool, plus I have created a network bridge for my Inspiron which includes the Broadcom x33 NIC, the TAP win32 Adapter (10mps speed) and the 1394 adapter my Inspiron 5100 has.

I found that setting the addresses manually as suggested elsewhere in the forum doesnt help. I have to use the DHCP server on the Vaio to which I have the Broadcom NIC connected.
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
anthonysimilion1
Space Cadet

Post by anthonysimilion1 »

Thankyou for replying.

I forgot to login when I posted that - I created a new user account (forgotten username/password/everything :P)

I guess I'll stay tuned for developments.

If anyone has got it working under Jaguar, I'd sure like to hear from you.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I just tried the network utility after reading your post and received the following error.
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

Was this after installing the bsd sub system? I didnt bother initially as I wasnt going to do development on the emulator. In my case, the applet ran and I could see some tabs, then it said certain files were missing from the bsd distribution, and quit with the error shown.
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

This is with the BSD Subsystem installed. The panel started loading up, but then failed with the above message box.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Mac Emu wrote:This is with the BSD Subsystem installed. The panel started loading up, but then failed with the above message box.
I had the same happening in Panther. Restart OS X after the new NIC is installed ( in my case iot said "cable not connected, as thoug everything was configured correctly). Then Network Utility should work.

kybernaut
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

A new NIC does not install. This is on Mac OS X 10.2.8. Are you running Jaguar or Panther?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Mac Emu wrote:A new NIC does not install. This is on Mac OS X 10.2.8. Are you running Jaguar or Panther?
hhhm. so you have currently a mac without NIC... which is why Network Utility crashes.

I have Panther but used to use earlier versions of OS X in the past. Unfortunately I never installed a network card :cry: But I'm pretty sure that 10.2 has the drivers for the Realtek device... Maybe it has to be added via a "New" dialog or something along these lines?!

Does any 10.2.x user have the "virtual" Realtek NIC installed successfully??
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »