MacOSX Redux

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rcwire
Tinkerer

MacOSX Redux

Post by rcwire »

I have given this some thought, it isnt a wild statement made at some absurd hour of the morning.

I love the idea of being able to run Mac OSX on a PC. It amuses me to think that if it really took off Mr Jobs would be selling even more copies of Mac OSX than he could have sold Macs in Japan had the order for 100,000,000 eMacs at £14 a pop been honoured. (Seems he would have cornered 90% of the Japanese market)

However....

To me, MacOSX now I have run it on the Wallstreet just to see what it was like, is too much like Linux. If I want to run Linux I run SUSE 9.0 on my laptop PC, I like the design of OS 9.x, I cant begin to tell you how I like the fact the pages can be shrunk to a toolbar, or the way Mac OS 9.x installs things. I am really fed up with dmg files that turn into what look like miniature ipods that have been squashed on the Desktop, and what's with the System Optimisation thing? Is it necessary?

Ultimately a GUI is about design. Its why I dont like Longhorn which looks like an Internet TV GUI from the screens I have seen. Its why I shrunk the icons and the text and the dock under Mac OSX, because the default makes them look like something out of a kid's toybox.

Look and feel is very important. There is something comforting about the Classic interface.

If you are looking at a desktop that <bugs the hell out of you> just makes you feel uncomfortable staring at all day long at work then you need to change it if you can.

Yes, Mac OSX was very slow on my Wallstreet, and yes I managed to install the OS 9.x system after installing OSX, and it wasnt pleasant installing OSX twice before and after...now I'm gibbering.

Signing off.
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Yeah I feel the same way. A OS is supposed to be about the GUI to a certain degree. If you really think about it who sells computers based upon the OS's functonality. No one that is why Linux (besides being more complicated for older users to learn) is still at the bottom of the user base.

Every book-historian-analyst that has ever studied OS's agree hands down that Mac woulda took the cake had he just licenced the hardware rights...

That being said Bill Gates was smarter, Steve Jobs was prouder, and now that we have PearPC we enjoy the best of both worlds. (Unless your me I run VMWare for Linux.) Then you enjoy the best of all 3 worlds