How to format a img to ntfs or fat32 in Windows XP???

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Xanix
Space Cadet

How to format a img to ntfs or fat32 in Windows XP???

Post by Xanix »

Hello to all. I need some program to open a "img" file on Windows XP, format it in ntfs or fat32. Load it wit some files and mount it in PearPC for my Darwin install. I think it can read ntfs or fat32.
Like that I could share files and programs from/to windows/darwin!

Even another solution world be apreciated.

Thank's in advance

Xanix
Jotu
Student Driver

Post by Jotu »

You can probabl use gemulator explorer or HFV explorer to keep it in HFS..or you could use something like neros image writer to move files in on .iso files
brannoch
Tinkerer

FileDisk

Post by brannoch »

Try FileDisk from http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/

This program/driver for Windows NT/2000/XP allows you to mount a file as a virtual disk drive. It supports sparse files as well so you don't have to have the whole size allocated on your disk - grab mksparse to make these files. Both come with full source (GPL).

You should be sure to format as FAT32 for your purposes, as Mac OSes have no support for NTFS. Also, I doubt that the file can be mounted by FileDisk and PearPC at the same time, so shut down PearPC before mounting with FileDisk and vice-versa.

By the way, can anyone tell from the source why FileDisk supports sparse files and PearPC doesn't? I've had a difficult time converting an existing disk image to sparse (file type converted but disk space still allocated). I can't seem to find the portion of the FileDisk source that relates to sparse files for comparison.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Could you just create a new hard drive image that is formated in fat32?
Xanix
Space Cadet

Great. Filedisk is a good solution!!!!

Post by Xanix »

Hi. I followed the link and downloaded filedisk.
Wit ImageCreator I made a 256 mb file. I mounted it wit file disk. Formated like fat32. Loaded some files on it. Unmounted the fake hd.
Fired up Pearpc and...i've a hd wit the new files on darwin heheh :D :D :D

Thank's a lot for the link

Xanix out

Note: Darwin can read ntfs "read only" too