How to "Multi-Boot" PearPc?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Joseph_m_adams
Space Cadet

How to "Multi-Boot" PearPc?

Post by Joseph_m_adams »

Just wondering guys, I'm new to emulation and have recently got OS X Jag running with my XP pro. Is there a good Multi-Boot Strategy for PearPC. I am running it off of a 250Gb set as my Primary Slave. :?:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I guess you mean for pearpc to start straight away when booting your PC?

If so, then sorry, No. Pearpc can only run when windows has been loaded.

Cat_7
Joseph_m_adams
Space Cadet

Post by Joseph_m_adams »

Yes CAT_7, that is exactly what I mean. I'm not trying to argue or anything seeing that apparently you know more about it than I do, but can't I create a MS-DOS Boot Disk boot to DOS and point it towards the partion I have PearPC mounted at?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No, because Pear is not mounted on a fysical hard disk. It's installed on a file on a fysical hard disk. This file, however, is layed out the same as a hard disk.

Still you'll need the grafhical subsystem of windows (32 bit) or Linux to run Pear.

There is just now another discussion on the development list about booting directly.

qoute:
I wish people would see that a "standalone" PearPC is not viable, nor is
it necessary.

The closest you want to come to this is a stripped down kernel,
basic libraries, and an inittab that starts pearpc on the console.
That's your "modules".

Put it on a partition and make it bootable. There you go.
unquote

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Because PearPC is a 32\64-bit protected mode program that relies on the host operating system's Application Programming Interface to allow for disk access, memory allocation, video control, etc. DOS doesn't have most of the things required to run PearPC.
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

But there is a way to create a user and put pearpc into the users boot up sequence but I can't remeber where i saw that...
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

joshlink01 wrote:But there is a way to create a user and put pearpc into the users boot up sequence but I can't remeber where i saw that...
Yes. It's pretty simple, actually. You simply create a new user, and go to the registry editor. Then, you go to

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon
(from inside the new user). You create a new string value called "Shell", and put the path to the PearPC executable and to the config file in it.
Good Luck.