Up-to-date Detailed Networking Guide

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Up-to-date Detailed Networking Guide

Post by Mac Emu »

I've searched this forum and many other websites for an easy step-by-step detailed guide to setting up networking on PearPC. Most (all) articles I read were incomplete as far as detailing what various IP addresses to use for TAP-32 and for the Mac OS.

I've wasted hours today trying to get networking working on Jaguar. I read that ICS isn't required on WinXP SP2 (I've tried it anyway). And other tutorials quickly cover bridged networking. I have gotten it networked using 3rd-party proxy server software, but I'm told it's much slower using this method.

Is there any networking guide out there that's up-to-date and doesn't skip (assume) vital parts of the configuration process?
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

People tend to focus on the method they use, what works best for them. Me, I use ICS on both XP and Linux. (And as far as I'm aware, you DO still need to set it up in SP2.)

There is this page:
http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php/Networking

but it badly needs more info. I'm even a bit uncertain about the ICS guide there (why change the ICS IP from the default 192.168.0.1? what is the point?).

Bridging seems to be the most temperamental method, hence why it's under-represented. The big problem is usually with getting DNS to the Mac. In both bridging and ICS, the features of your real networking setup have a lot to do with it - for example, where does your computer get DNS from? If you intend to use DHCP right down the line, will your router give the Mac a lease, or ignore it?

I agree it would be good to have authoritative guides. Seven of them in fact! One general intro piece, and one for each method under Windows and Linux.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Thank you for the reply. Does this method work with the current CVS builds when Mac OS 10.2 is used? I prefer using Static IPs for everything. I'll get around to trying it again in the next few days.
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

I can't speak for 10.2 specifically, but no reason why not AFAIK.

I have static IPs at both levels in my setup, and it works fine with the TAP adapter's IP as 'router' for the Mac (this will be 192.168.0.1 by default when you setup ICS, but you can change it to anything in 192.168.0.* I think), and my real router as its DNS server.
My router has UPnP enabled - this may be a factor in the Mac receiving DNS, I can't remember.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Havin_it wrote:I can't speak for 10.2 specifically, but no reason why not AFAIK.

I have static IPs at both levels in my setup, and it works fine with the TAP adapter's IP as 'router' for the Mac (this will be 192.168.0.1 by default when you setup ICS, but you can change it to anything in 192.168.0.* I think), and my real router as its DNS server.
My router has UPnP enabled - this may be a factor in the Mac receiving DNS, I can't remember.
I keep telling people and they keep not remembering. On windows 2000/XP it does not matter what is the ICS address is, as long as all its clients are on the same subnet. The only drawback is that when it is not 192.168.0.1, the Windows DHCP server would not work.
Another thing: UPnP has nothing to do with DNS. It is meant so incoming data could be forwarded automatically to a computer without the complications of settings the ports manually (for example, Azureus supports this).
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Wow. I've been giving out some bum info then :oops:

So when it comes to clients sometimes not getting teh DNS, is this just down to the quirks of the router? Like whether or not it will act as a DNS server for all clients, including non-DHCP ones?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

My router is set to 192.168.1.1, so my LAN is setup as 192.168.1.1xx. So I should be able to setup PearPC to use 192.168.1.1xx, but not DNS because of the third octet right?

I just don't have a good handle to every step and setting to use because of being exposed to all sorts of methods to get networking working without success, except the (very slow) proxy method which worked.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Havin_it wrote:So when it comes to clients sometimes not getting teh DNS, is this just down to the quirks of the router? Like whether or not it will act as a DNS server for all clients, including non-DHCP ones?
It could be, depends on the router. The easiest way is to get the real DNS server address (the one your router forwards your queries to) and use it. The simplest way to get it is to call your ISP and ask. The second simplest one is to connect directly to the internet (without the router).
Mac Emu wrote:My router is set to 192.168.1.1, so my LAN is setup as 192.168.1.1xx. So I should be able to setup PearPC to use 192.168.1.1xx, but not DNS because of the third octet right?
You could use the way above, but if PearPC networking is set up using ICS, and OSX is on a different subnet (along with the TAP adapter), then your router would "see" the virtual mac just as it "sees" your real computer, and would provide service for both.