Connecting to an Airport dock- without airport

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

The Phreakster
Space Cadet

Connecting to an Airport dock- without airport

Post by The Phreakster »

Hi,

Yesterday I finally got PPC running with OS X 10.3.5 Panther. Suprise suprise, I'm having networking difficulties.

On my PC I have a 108mbps Netgear Wireless adapter hooked up to an airport dock (no bridging). Is it possible to configure networking for OS 10.3.5 on this setup?

If so...
-How do I change the IP etc addresses for physical/TAP card?
-How do I set it up while in PPC?

Help appreciated,
Tom.

PS: I originally tried to get it running to play the classic Mac game FULL THROTTLE, but recently learned of PPC's lack of support with previous versions of the OS. Which emulator would anyone recommend to load an earlier version of the OS on to play the game (as in the fastest/most stable etc emu)?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There are a lot of networking guides on this forum and the net. You can search the forum and google the net for them.

As for running your game in a different emulator:
If it requires mac os 8.1 or below, use BasiliskII
If it requires from 8.5 to 9.0.4, use SheepShaver

Best wishes,

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

As for the networking in PearPC, install the tap adapter from openvpn (first result in google), bridge the new adapter with your WLAN adapter, and enable rtl8139 in your config. Then OSX should detect everything and configure itself automatically.
The Phreakster
Space Cadet

Post by The Phreakster »

In English :p

Sorry, my knowledge in the subject is... limited to say the least!

I've read that networking won't work on anything under 10.4 which leads me to another problem...

I've got the Tiger upgrade DVD, when I boot it up there is a restart button which *should* start the installation. However, this closes the window altogether, so when I boot it up again the installation doesn't start :?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

OK, you have 10.3 installed, great. Get this file, run it, tell the installer to make a complete install. Then, go to the network connections folder in control panel. Select the new adapter that has appeared there, and your network adapter, right click on either of them and select "Bridge Connections". Then, change in your config file the line that says

Code: Select all

pci_rtl8139_installed = 0
to

Code: Select all

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
and boot Mac OS X. Go to System Preferences, Network. It will say it has found a new network adapter. Click OK. Then select from the combo box titled "Show" the item "PCI Ethernet Slot pci10ec,8139, Port 5". Make sure "Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP", and type in your DNS server address in the proper location (you can find them out by typing "cmd /k ipconfig /all" in Start>Run in windows). Click "Apply Now", and you're done.

And BTW, networking with rtl8139 works perfectly with anything from 10.3, and 3c90x works with every OSX version with the proper driver. I don't know where you've heard it works only with 10.4. When networking support first showed up in PearPC (version 0.1.1 if I remember correctly) there was no 10.4.