Multiple Install disk problem...

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

donaldj
Space Cadet

Multiple Install disk problem...

Post by donaldj »

Hello,

I was having trouble with my install disks, so I ripped them into ISOs. In the configure text thingy, I added the line:

Code: Select all

pci_ide0_slave_image = "c:\pearpc\Disk 1.iso" 
This was all hunky dory, the OS X install started perfectly, but it asked for install disk 2 (outa four). Conundrum... I tried shutting down PearPC, changing the Config file, to

Code: Select all

pci_ide0_slave_image = "c:\pearpc\Disk 2.iso" 
... but no luck, it asked for disk 1 again. Then I came up with the brilliant Idea of those virtual drive things, so I downloaded and installed Alcohol 52%, thinking I could just unmount disk 1 when it asked, and mount disk 2. But, PearPC couldn't boot the drive (Neither could windows, it said the disk was 'corrupt').

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Donald J.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You could try to select only the package from base install (so no printers, fonts etc). That way the second disk will not be needed at install time. You can then boot from the hard disk and install whatever you need from the slave drive. Just go into the installer packages folder and directly select the packages you want.

You could try to install Transmac. That programs allows you to see the contents of a mac hfs iso file, so you can see whether your second iso is really corrupt.

Best,
Cat_7
donaldj
Space Cadet

Post by donaldj »

Hello,

I used magic ISO to open the ISO, then I deleted the 'Optional Installs.mpkg' folder. This new ISO would work (It'd bring up the PearPC window) but PPC wouldn't boot it. Once again I ONLY deleted the 'Optional Installs.mpkg' Folder.

Help?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I wouldn' edit the iso's. Just select custuomize during install and install only the bare minimum.

When the size of the is changed, I believe pearpc runs into problems.
The is an image resizer for iso's to use in pearpc available to solve just the problem you experience. (don't know exactly, but it might be only for dvd images)

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have reinstalled Tiger in pearpc using the cd images floating around the web. I too ran into the problem you described. However, leaving the installer do it's thing after the second disk, and waiting for pearpc to shut down by itself, the installer didn't come up again when I restarted pearpc with Tiger.

Additional benefit:
I have now updated to 10.4.10 and installed Xcode, so I can build ppc binaries of SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7