Help PearPC Network with PPPoE

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Laur70
Space Cadet

Help PearPC Network with PPPoE

Post by Laur70 »

I need help to configure PearPC networking with PPPoE. I can't install PPPoE under PearPC. I use Windows XP SP3 and Mac OS X 10.4..
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I saw you watched the movie to that subject on youtube. What is unclear to you? Do you have the tap driver installed? And shared your normal internet connection with it? Does the tap driver become active when you start PearPC? What version of PearPC are you using?

Best,
Cat_7
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi,

I installed the tap driver. It's OK. But I don't know which internet connection share with tap driver in windows, the LAN connection or PPPoE connection? And I must configure PPPoE in PearPC?
I installed 3com driver for linux downloaded from Pearpc.sourceforge.net and share the LAN connection with tap win32 adapter.
I allocated the manual address and I have green sign which says that is currently active and connect to the internet via PCI Ethernet ...
I use the PearPC 0.5pr redscorp.

Thanks,
Laur
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you have a permanent connection to the internet through the lan connection, why not try that first?

Share the tap networking device with the lan connection first. Mark the IP-address and other settings it uses.

(For example:
-IP-address 192.168.0.1
-subnet mask 255.255.255.0
)

Enable the RTL-xxxx networking option in PearPC and boot. See if the tap device becomes active.

Then in networking preferences in OSX set
-IP-address 192.168.0.2 (one higher then tap-device)
-subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-router 192.168.0.1 (same as IP-address from tap-device)
-dns: use the dns settings from you lan connection settings

This is the general method, so you can do the same with any mix of the windows PPpoE connection and OSX 3com card if it doesn't work.

Best,
Cat_7
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi,

I try this configuration first time, but nothing. The device is active, but when open Safari to connect to internet, I receive error message "You are not connected to the Internet".
I have a LAN connection, but for Internet I have a PPPoE connection. I share the PPPoE connection with tap networking device.
The problem is that I don't know dns, because I obtain IP and DNS automatically, I haven't static IP and DNS address.
In PPPoE satus I have Server and Client IP.

Laur
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi,

My Internet connection work for a short time with follow configuration:

In XP:
-Internet Connection Sharing PPPoE with tap win32 networking
-Tap networking: IP-address 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

In Mac OSX set:
- Using DHCP and I have: IP-address 192.168.0.95, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, router 192.168.0.1

After that I ping 192.168.0.1 and open Safari, which try to open apple site. Load a short time, after internet connection close.

I think problem is DNS, because if use DHCP DNS is optional, if use manual I must enter DNS, but I don't know DNS.

Laur
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It doesn'y matter if you have static IP address to the outside world, the DNS information will most propably stay static. Your provider wiil not change those every day....

Lookup the settings of the PPPoE connection. Right click on the connection after it becomes active and select Status. Then click Details.

It should show a list of information, among which the IPv4 DNS'ses that are used. Write them down and use them in OSX. In OSX, set the IP-address manually (not through DHCP) as I wrote before. You now have all information required.

So:
-ip-address 192.168.0.2
-subnetmask 255.255.255.0
-router 192.168.0.1
-DNS'ses from what you wrote down from PPPeO connection Status/Details in Windows

And remember not to expect miracles from software that is not fully developed.

Good luck,
Cat_7
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi.

It works ! :P
In the settings of the PPPoE connection I haven't any DNS address.

But, I made the follow configuration in OSX:

- Using DHCP with manual address with: IP address 192.168.0.109 (introduced by me), subnetnask 255.255.255.0, router 192.168.0.1 (like tap networking connection IP address).

After this settings, nothing. But after ping my address (192.168.0.109) and ping another internet sites, I can connect to Internet with Safari.

Thanks for your help, Cat_7.

Best,
Laur70
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi,

Don't work fine. :(
After reboot, in OSX I haven't submetmask and router, only Ip address and Internet don't work. If I use DHCP give me another Ip address (169.254.x.x range of my LAN connection) and subnetmask 255.255.0.0
So, I can't connect to Internet because I have dynamic DNS and I don't know DNS. In PPPoE status DNS is empty. I use ipconfig and nothing under DNS.

Best,
Laur70
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As I wrote earlier, don't use DHCP on the OSX side! set the addresses Manually.
So, no DHCP with manual address, but everything manually.

The whole idea of the tap device is that you have no dealing with the network settings through DHCP on the OSX side. You can have a local but static IP-address in OSX. Just choose "Manually" and enter the addresses you now know from before.

The tap device should handle the connection to the PPPoE connection.
Doesn't the PPPoE connection have a DNS entry when active and checking the status/details of the connection? If not, then there is not much more I can do for you.

Cat_7
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Hi,

The PPPoE connection don't have a DNS entry when active and I check the status/details of the connection, so I can't introduce addresses manually.

Only way the have internet is the start OSX with PPPoE disabled, ICS disabled. After OSX start, I enable ICS on PPPoE and in OSX with DHCP enabled I have router 192.168.0.1 (like tap win32 device) and I can connect Internet after start PPPoE.

I have Sygate Personal Firewall which block OSX address from access internet because detected Denial of Service "Jolt2 Attack" attack .
After disable SPF I can connect to Internet.

Laur70
Laur70
Space Cadet

Post by Laur70 »

Worked :lol:

I found DNS with nslookup and work.

Laur70
bboylalu
Space Cadet

Help

Post by bboylalu »

Hello. If only you could help me, please... I have as well a PearPC MAC OS X Tiger and can't connect to the Internet. Usually, in Win, I connect via PPPoE with a username and a password. Actually, I'm afraid that I didn't get the Win part of the setup, with the TAP driver (already installed), bridging the connections, sharing etc. I also might have some problems with the setup in OS X, because I'm not sure what data to introduce and where. The most confusing part for me is with bridging, then removing the LAN from the bridge (as I saw on tutorials), or even unplugging the ethernet cable for a while. P.S.: I'm running Windows 7, but this shouldn't be a problem. It would be wonderful if you could reply some step-by-step (maybe) instructions on how to start from scratch (the Windows part). Thank you very much and I would really appreciate your help.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Did you see these guides?

http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Networking

They can be a bit complicated, but maybe that's the best "step by step" setup guide around...
bboylalu
Space Cadet

Post by bboylalu »

Yes, I followed tons of guides :(.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'm afraid that I've never done it myself.

PearPC has a very small userbase these days. Maybe no one here has any experience with that. :(

You could also try posting on the forum on pearpc.net