Goodbye, Tiger on PearPC. Hello Leopard on VMWare!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

P0rtal0fRain
Space Cadet

Goodbye, Tiger on PearPC. Hello Leopard on VMWare!

Post by P0rtal0fRain »

And so you may wonder why I said goodbye. You may wonder why I chose to stop using PearPC and get rid of Tiger.

Pear PC to me is nothing but a thing of the past. With the original programmers totally missing in action and administrators only showing support more than providing it, Pear PC to me is slowly growing more obsolete.

While most PearPC users still continue to emulate OS X versions of Panther and even Tiger, many others engaged in emulating Leopard. How?

PearPC can't stand up to Leopard. Even on numerous redscorp builds or ridiculous G4 emulation, it just bring tears to your eyes. VMWare Workstation has the nerve to take on Leopard (and maybe even Snow Leopard) and seems to be more up-to-date. Though VMWare is not open-source, it still gets the job done.

If you want to continue emulating Jaguar, Panther, or even Tiger, stick with Pear PC. But if you want to be more up-to-date and stand up to Leopard, you'll have to throw Pear PC out the window - and I'm afraid that is what I'll have to do.

Don't worry about Basilisk II and Sheepshaver, they rule the simplicity of Mac OS 7 to 9 - I can always keep that. ^_^
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I don't know anything about using VMWARE in this way (or at all). Do you have any links to guides for that?
P0rtal0fRain
Space Cadet

Post by P0rtal0fRain »

Last time I checked, it was widely shared on a bittorrent website, just for beginners. Here's a guide:

http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?Item ... &task=view
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

adam77
Space Cadet

Post by adam77 »

I have tried out Leopard on Vmware, very slow and choppy, unresponsive. Internet was working however, but to the tune of 1/2 of my regular speed (not complaining b/c i was still getting 500kbps).

Don't know if I did something wrong or needed to tweak, but it wasn't worth it other than a novelty at the moment.