Can't type in PROM Boot loader on SL

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Can't type in PROM Boot loader on SL

Post by adespoton »

Hi! I'm using an iMac9,1 with the compact Apple keyboard -- my config file seems to work OK, but when I get to the PROM Boot loader prompt, my keypresses do nothing.

F12 won't release my mouse, opt-enter won't go fullscreen, and the numbers 0-2 won't select my partition. Esc won't even abort!

The one key that DOES work is pressing "s". This seems to abort, and leaves me with the error:

"[IO/PROM] <Warning> Can't boot a partition.
Try bootmethod 'force' and specify a 'prom_loadfile' in your config-file...
cannot find boot file."

This is done with the verbose flag enabled.

One thing I DO get after this is a bootfile.dump file, that starts with:

<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac3,1 PowerBook2,1 PowerBook3,1 PowerMac3,2
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
MacROM for NewWorld.
</DESCRIPTION>
<ICON SIZE=64,64 COLOR-SPACE=3,3,2 >
<BITMAP>(etc....)

Any ideas:?:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, I don't know why the keyboard mapping is so off, but I've discovered that 8 is the return key and f is 2, and s is escape. Anyone know how to change pearpc keybindings?

[edit]
So far I've figured out the following equivalencies, based on the keybinding source:

Code: Select all

a  s  d f h g z x c v 0x0 b q w  e   r  y t 1 2 3 4 6 5 = 9 7 -  8   0  ] o u [ i p ret l  \  k ; unk , / n m . tab spc `
  esc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  9  0 - = del tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ] ret ctr a s d f g h  j  k shf ' ` unk \ z x c v  b   n  m
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Strange.

Don't know what to say. What is your host system?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

iMac9,1 - Snow Leopard 10.6.2. The issue seems to lie more with the keyboard however, as the keymap seems to be based on SDL keymappings assuming an extended keyboard, and I've got the Apple Compact keyboard (same as on macbooks).

Based on the source code for the keymapping, I'm going to attempt to modify the mappings in-binary when I get a moment (hopefully sometime this week), but I found it odd that nobody else had mentioned this "glitch". My keyboard appears to map keys to the bindings in-order as they appear on the keyboard, as opposed to the default mapping in the current build, which has the codes scattered all over the place.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Well... I think that you are one of the very few people who have used the OS X "port" of PearPC. It is very rough and not well known. You are breaking new ground here!

Based on your description, I suppose this bug might be predominately experienced by users of the OS X version.

Please let us know what you discover.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The key mapping is probably for Windows and you are on a Mac. A comparison of keycodes in BasiliskII keycodes file for Quartz and Windows matches your findings.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... ycodes.zip
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Excellent! So I can just use the Mac SDL keycodes file settings, and all should be fine :)

I figured that someone else who had used the OS X compile would have noticed something by now, but I guess they've all just checked to see if it works without typing anything....

[edit]
Argh. Editing the binary is trickier than I thought. Maybe I'll have to dig in and do my own custom build. Anyone have the modified source for OS X kicking around? Maybe I'll even get JIT debugged (before 2020)....