Can't open boot file?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TheGag96
Space Cadet

Can't open boot file?

Post by TheGag96 »

That's what my command promp says after PPC closes after I choose my selection at startup. What can I do?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

It probably means that the install media (your mac OS X disk image) is not good.

What are you trying to install OS X from? Keep in mind that you can only install 10.4 and earlier, and you cannot use a physical DVD (must make an .ISO).

If this information doesn't help you, please post your config file for examination here...
TheGag96
Space Cadet

Post by TheGag96 »

I'm sorry, never mind.

I solved this earlier and forgot to say so.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

No problem!

But if you have time, do share your solution. It could help other members in the future.
TheGag96
Space Cadet

READ THIS

Post by TheGag96 »

Here's the deal:
I was booting the hard drive instead of the boot disc. Remember to do this for the installation! Be sure to set both the hard drive and the boot disc as "installed" in the configuration file, or set as 1 in Notepad. After that, I booted the boot disk, and it worked fine. Also, USE THE 0.4 RELEASE FOR THE PPC EXECUTABLE. The redscorp doesn't work for me, and I'm on Windows 7.
Also a note...

When you've finally got the thing installed, be sure not to mess with the screen size in the System Preferences. It got my Preferences stuff screwed up and the thing now won't load after the gray apple screen. I'm at this very moment reinstalling it again over what I have now, which I think I'm actually going to stop because I'm not sure it'll work. So, I'm just starting over with a blank hard drive again all together.

Gee, this was a very informative post.[/b]